1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the benefits of using Basic Chain Ladder on incremental claims instead of cumulative claims

Discussion in 'SA3' started by Nadeem Naidoo, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Nadeem Naidoo

Nadeem Naidoo Member

Cumulative claims seem to have more stable development, and don't result in large late development factors in long tailed tailed business (or even division by zero issues). Why would BCL ever be applied on incremental claims instead of cumulative claims?

2. Infinity

Infinity Member

Incremental is just used as an interim step to adjust for inflation. It should then be cumulated again before projection

3. Infinity

Infinity Member

What a pathetic method. Why do I have to go through this again? I passed CT6 already and now the IFoA think I’m going to do the same exam again. I will not be studying the same rubbish all over again. If there are any other students who passed CT6 but not CT4, please contact me as I’m taking legal action for the lies that have been fed to us. In South Africa you can still take CT4 and CT6 separately... if you’re South African...

4. Bidza

Bidza Member

Hi Infinity. I do not think the statement you have said is quite true. The Actuarial Society of South Africa (ASSA) has separated CM1 and kept it as CT1 and CT5. The CS2 exam has not been split. An ASSA student who is does not have both CT4 and CT6 will unfortunately have to do the CS2 exam and is equally affected by the change. Furthermore, ASSA exams are not for South Africans alone, they are open to anyone who is a member of ASSA irrespective of their country of origin.

Calm likes this.
  5. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

If you mean Run-off triangles from CT6, that one is actually in CM2 along with Ruin Theory. (Which unfortunately, in your case, still doesn't make a difference in that you have to do them again.)

What I find more interesting is that only about half of CT6 (in terms of course content) actually translates over towards CS2, which also includes Extreme Value Theory, Copulas, Machine Learning, pretty much all of CT4 and of course the use of R.

6. Infinity

Infinity Member

Sorry well in that case i meant CT1 and CT5 then. I have CT1 but not CT5. Also CT8 doubles. This is how I end up with 6 exams instead of 3. Can you confirm if you can take IFoA exams in South Africa?

7. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

To answer Nadeem's original question, you wouldn't ever use the basic chain ladder on incremental claims, for the reasons you highlight yourself.

This forum is for posts related to SA3. For all other posts in this thread, please post your comments on the relevant forum. You can find a list of forums at https://www.acted.co.uk/forums/index.php.