1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Study Days...Which Day Of The Week?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by henwood13, Oct 17, 2007.

?

When do you take most of your study days?

1. Monday

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. Tuesday

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Wednesday

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. Thursday

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  5. Friday

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. I only take them in and around exams

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. I have no study days

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. henwood13

henwood13 Member

For those of you who recieve study days for exams, apart from taking time off in and around the exams, which day of the week do you tend to take off.

I'm currently trying to decide and have been told that my personal favourite (Friday) and second choice (Monday) are generally frowned upon (translation: your not having Fridays or Mondays off!!!)

I think the argument is that being the lazy students that we are, we'll just take the study day as an extension of the weekend and not actually do any work! (It's like they read my mind! ;) )

2. jeaneu

jeaneu Member

I can't vote on the poll as it doesn't give me the option...

But I usually take 2 half days - on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons - to study...

I find that firstly, this breaks up the week nicely, and secondly, it gives me more study time, as when I took one full day, I never really got started until the afternoon anyway (as I just slept for longer!).

But I guess it's a personal preference thing...

3. henwood13

henwood13 Member

Hmmm.....thats not a bad idea.

4. 4EverStudent

4EverStudent Member

Tuesday and Thursday afternoons are definitely the way forward. That's what I used to take when I had study leave.

Thursday afternoons are particularly good as you know that the next day is Friday!

In general, I think 2 afternoons are more productive than a whole day, especially if you are studying a subject that is not very interesting!

5. henwood13

henwood13 Member

The only problem I would foresee personally with afternoon studying is that sometimes it can take me a while to get myself motivated but when I do get into the groove I tend to be pretty productive.

Having a whole day gives more continuous spells of studying, whereas the stop/start of the afternoon tactic could end up wasting more time motivating myself.

(I hope that makes sense)

Of course this has to be weighed up with the temptation to spend the morning in bed anyways and thus negating this whole point!

6. 4EverStudent

4EverStudent Member

Well, whatever format you decide to take, don't waste them! Study days are very important and easily the most valuable part of any study package.

I have just SA2 to go but no study days and I really miss them ...........:(

7. ExamFatigued

ExamFatigued Member

Full day Wednesday always did the trick for me. Splits the week up nicely and I have no problems putting a full day study in - my dogs ensure there is no chance of a lazy lie in. Not a big fan of 2 half-days; if you start to drift it's hard to make up for lost time - plus you've still got travel time for both days, plus it's always hard to get away from work for an afternoon session. If busy at work and I took a morning session, then always pressure to stay late - and that blows any chance of getting more study done in the evening.

I also agree that employers don't like Monday/Friday study days - isn't it sad they don't trust their employees to put in the study? I mean, as if anyone would be tempted to take a sneaky long weekend away early in the session!