1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Sitting 2 SP Level Exams at Once, 20 Days Apart

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by MrHarBear, Jan 13, 2019.

1. MrHarBear

MrHarBear Member

I am considering doing SP1 and the SP9-equivalent exam for SOA for the April sitting. These exams are about 20 days apart, and the SP9 exam is a reattempt for me.

Any suggestions?

Calm likes this.
  2. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

I will likely be sitting 9 papers spread out across April (CM2, CS2, CB1 and the NTU modules' exams). Given that there's around 3 months, sitting SP1 and SP9 should be manageable. But do manage your time well, and make sure to revise the SP9 exam too; while a reattempt is somewhat easier, it still requires some practice to brush up on information you may have forgotten since the last sitting (as I found when resitting CT3 and CT4 in September last year).

3. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Two SPs is totally feasible. However, given that it appears you are only talking about studying now when most students are well over halfway through the course does worry me a little...

4. MrHarBear

MrHarBear Member

Really? I feel like most people barely started to prepare for the exam. I was waiting for the results from the SP9-equivalent exam before figuring out what to do next.

5. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

I would disagree too, most people I know have barely started studying for their SP exam!

6. Pede

Pede Member

Bear in mind that in the UK, day 2 (of 3) of the tutorials for SP subjects have already passed - suggesting that many students are two-thirds through the course already.

And Qayanaat, you may well be right that most people have barely started studying. And stats show that most people will fail the SP exam (pass rate is less than 50%). I may be wrong, but I think I can see a correlation here!

7. patron

patron Member

The tutorial days are so much earlier than most people progress through studying I think.

I always look at them (and see how far behind I am) if I need a kick up the backside to speed up my studying!

Qayanaat likes this.
  8. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

Yes Pede, whether it's good or bad & whether that's the cause for people failing is a different story, I'm just saying what I see!

9. Dillon

Dillon Member

Which is first? Do you have time off work? If SP1 is the second exam and you have the time in between the exams off, you could probably learn SP1 in those 20 days, even starting from scratch.

If you start studying now and cover all the notes before April, those 20 days will be more than enough to pass the exam.

If ST9 is second, 20 days seems like plenty of time to prepare for a resit.

Might be more difficult if you have no time off work, but I’d say go for it.

10. MrHarBear

MrHarBear Member

SP1, new exam to me, is first, SP9-equivalent is second.

I can probably ask for about 15 days off for SP1, and becuase SP9 equivalent is second, probably about a week off.