1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

CA2 queries

Discussion in 'CA2' started by Rocky Flintstone, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Hi

Just a couple of quick questions:

1) In paper 1 there are often marks for other (non-data) checks. What does this mean?

2) In paper 2 there are 25 marks for next steps. Does this mean I need to come up with 25 different points?

3) In the audit trail the advice is to put your name and the time you updated it, but this doesn't seem to appear in the solutions. Do we need this?

Cheers,

RF

2. LastHurdles

LastHurdles Member

1 - Non-Data checks are reasonableness checks. Like if something is supposed to show an upward trend, is the results of the model showing this?

3 - I don't think this essential

2 - I would also like to know how many next steps we need to get the 25 marks? and how much depth we need to go into?

3. ntickner

ntickner Very Active Member

1. Just to add that these are crucial - they demonstrate that you understand what the model is trying to do. Try predict what answer you expect from the result (especially for the later scenarios that build on the base case), and use that to check your answer (and put this in your submission).

2. More important (or more substantial) next steps will get 2 marks, lesser ones will get 1.

3. In real life, yes. In the exam, I'd say omitting your name is prudent, as you're supposed to be anonymous to the marker.

4. bystander

bystander Member

Re 3. To show you are aware of good practise without revealing identity you could put 'updated by <your candidate number> @ time.
    But I wouldn't worry you'll be penalised not putting it in.

5. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

hi, what should we do in the exam when we built a lot of reasonableness checks but some of them don't work? I'm assuming time may be short to start fixing all of it at a price of loosing time to work on an audit trail.

6. Sarah Byrne

Sarah Byrne ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

I think my reply to another query you posted answers this too! From the IFoA Guide to CP2:

If an answer does not look reasonable, check your formulae against the question. If you cannot find the error, note it in your audit trail and move on.

So, yes, if it's not obvious, leave it, document it, and move on. Just ensure your checks are trying to do something useful ie not just checking that excel is working properly.

Thanks
    Sarah