1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

CT3 Sep 2018

Discussion in 'CT3' started by ldr, Oct 7, 2018.

1. ldr

ldr Member

How did people find this?

2. Fair paper, I thought. Made one or two silly mistakes looking back, but otherwise, it went well.

Waffled big time on the negative binomial question though!

3. ldr

ldr Member

Same thought it went ok. Hopefully we both pass!

The two parameter MLE was annoying. Differentiated with respect to the two parameters but forgot to use simultaneous equations to solve it. Oh well. That was an awkward question

4. I thought that question was fine, I ran into the same problem for the last part though. Pretty sure I got 0=0 or something when I attempted to solve for one of them. I didn’t want to waste too much time, but I should still have some marks from that part.

There’s been far worse MLE questions in past papers, so I was glad the log proof was relatively fine.

It’s had a low pass mark for the past few diets, so I think we’d be doing well to pass.

5. Mchaggins

Mchaggins Member

A lot of marks for various confidence intervals which suited me, as did the MLE question only being worth 8 marks as I just can't seem to grasp that and sometimes it is worth 20% of the paper. Hoping that the fact this was the only paper available to non-members this time round might mean the pass mark is below 60. I couldn't remember what to do with the LSE part of question 10.

6. The regression question was fairly typical, but the proof using least squares is bookwork, so you either knew it or you didn't. The rest of the question was kind though, no real tricks involved, you just had to apply the numbers to the formula.

I didn't think of the non-member aspect, maybe that's why the pass mark has been so low the past few diets. Here's hoping the same applies this time so a lot of people can avoid the R exam next year.

Mchaggins likes this.
  7. sids Ch

sids Ch Member

Any idea what will be pass mark ?? I am assuming lot of people attempted considerably well

8. Mchaggins

Mchaggins Member

Managed to pass with exactly 60, very lucky.

Anyone know when the examiners report will be published? Interested to see where I went wrong.

9. They already are, just isn't titled as such on the past papers page. The download should now be a zip file containing the paper and the examiner's report.

Also, congrats!