1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

CT8 April 2018 results

Discussion in 'CT8' started by Dom B, Jun 29, 2018.

?

Is it unfair to keep the pass mark at 60% despite the fact that only 31.6% of students passed?

Poll closed Aug 28, 2018.
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dom B

Dom B Member

So, the results are in.

During the last 13 exam sessions the pass rate has not dipped below 50%.

The pass rate for April 2018 was below 31.6% yet the examiners chose not to lower the pass mark.

Does anybody else feel violated? o_O

Chehak likes this.
  2. Mohp

Mohp Member

yes!, they definitely need to start making exams more consistent. Not fair at all...

They've had low pass rates (as low as 30% too) in the past before, so not sure if they'll bother doing anything about it...

3. Dom B

Dom B Member

If you look at the results for CT3, the examiners have lowered the pass mark to 55% in order to allow 61.7% of students to pass.

So why lower the pass mark for CT3 to but not CT8? It was obviously an abnormally difficult paper given that 918 students sat it and so few were able to pass.

I would expect that even if the CT8 pass mark were lowered to 50% for this sitting then the pass rate would still not exceed 60%.

Chehak likes this.
  4. Ace123

Ace123 Member

Planning on sitting CT8 in September as a first timer, but haven't started studying yet. Given the pass mark was so low this time - I assume the paper was quite hard, and will possible be easier in September. That been said there will be a lot of repeats and a lot more people attempting it as last chance to get it before the 2 exam sittings.

Does anyone think that the figure may be skewed as there are so many people trying to pass it before April 2019, that many may not be adequately prepared for the exam?

5. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

Do not hold any misconception that the paper would be easier in September 2018. These are actuarial exams, and all the exams are unpredictable without any pattern.

I feel that there will be lesser students in the September sitting than in the recent April one. People will opt for the two exam sitting as the practical one will hopefully be easier to clear and would provide more experience and knowledge into the subject matter. This time some 980 students had attempted, out of which 31.6% cleared. In September attempt, mostly will be those who are repeating the paper.

Yes it might be possible that some people gave the paper unprepared, but trying to run away from a paper just because it will get split into two exams is not the right approach. Being actuaries, we should always try to move towards some risky attempts, and not away from them!

6. Ace123

Ace123 Member

The majority of CT exams, the same questions pop up over the years, so if you do your prepared you'll pass. However CT8 has always been seen as the hardest CT by someway - so I'm guessing the types of questions are not repeated as much as in other CT's.

[/QUOTE]I feel that there will be lesser students in the September sitting than in the recent April one. People will opt for the two exam sitting as the practical one will hopefully be easier to clear and would provide more experience and knowledge into the subject matter. This time some 980 students had attempted, out of which 31.6% cleared. In September attempt, mostly will be those who are repeating the paper.[/QUOTE]

I can't see why people would opt to do a 2 sitting paper than 1. If you have just CT8 left - you more than likely going to sit it in September, than risk hoping that the new excel format will be easier.

[/QUOTE]Yes it might be possible that some people gave the paper unprepared, but trying to run away from a paper just because it will get split into two exams is not the right approach. Being actuaries, we should always try to move towards some risky attempts, and not away from them![/QUOTE]

As a student, you choose the most optimal approach. No one knows how hard the new excel format will be - so I think anyone that has it left will be attempted it in September.

7. Dom B

Dom B Member

Hi Ace123, having just prepared for and sat CT8 in April, I would advise that unless you have good prior knowledge of stochastic calculus, I would not recommend entering for CT8 in September if you have not started studying yet. It will take about 2 months to grasp all the new concepts and another 2 months to get exam-ready.

With regard to the extremely low pass rate of 31.6% (versus pass rates around 60% in 2016/17), I can say from personal experience that this was an unusually difficult paper to pass. I sat 6 past papers under exam conditions in preparation for the April sitting and passed all of them, scoring over 70% on all 4 of the 2016/17 papers. However, after I sat April 2018 I knew that I would only score in the 50s (which I did). The difference between the 2016/17 papers and the 2018 paper was like the difference between CT3 and CT8.

I expect that, just like myself, there are around 300 students who would have breezed through CT8 had they sat it in 2016/17, but unfortunately they just extremely unlucky with this one.

8. Ace123

Ace123 Member

Thanks Dom, SA4 it is so :)

Dom B likes this.
  9. ljs84

ljs84 Member

I feel absolutely gutted. Thought I had prepared really well. Felt confident going into the exam and it was such a tough paper. Came out with 53. Having only 31% of people pass surely must indicate to the examiners that the paper was not set correctly. Feel like chances of me passing before exam changes are slim now but will give it another go in September.

I don’t think you can get exam counselling for CTs can you? What is the best way to prepare for a resit?

10. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

Maybe the institute set a difficult paper intentionally, so that majority of students would not pass, and the institute would do the same thing for September attempt as well. This could be because of the added revenue that they would generate from next year. I think there is some sort of foul play here!

11. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

For a resit, I would suggest you to do definitely use the revision notes provided by the institute. They are very helpful. Also, try and solve as many papers as you can. Go through the concepts and core reading material. You still have 2.5 months in hand. You can do it. Stay focused, and don't give any attention to past failures. You can still clear it.

All the best!

12. ljs84

ljs84 Member

Thank you. Will order the revision notes. Did all of ASET last time but will do again plus book a revision day with acted. Just feel so disappointed with this sitting. Worked so hard for it to come to nothing. Found out I had cancer two weeks before the exam as well with the operation to remove the Friday before the exam (which it all is as well now so that’s positive). Had thought I might at least scrape into exceptional circumstance mark but clearly this paper was too much for me

13. Dom B

Dom B Member

I agree that something very wrong has happened here, but I don't think the IFoA are at fault. If you look at two other exams from this session compared withe CT8:

CT3 - pass mark lowered to 55% - 61.7% of students passed (somewhat close to the 63.6% long term average)
    CT5 - pass mark lowered to 57% - 51.5% of students passed (somewhat close to the 54.5% long term average)
    CT8 - pass mark kept at 60% - 31.6% of students passed (nowhere near the 52.8% long term average)

So the CT3 & CT5 examiners have adjusted the pass mark to bring the pass rate within a few % the long term average. Whereas the CT8 examiners seem quite content with the pass rate being over 21% lower than the long-term average.

Each subject has different examiners and it appears that it is the CT8 examiners (not the IFoA) who have chosen to keep the pass mark low. This could be because:
    • They refuse to accept that they had set an abnormally difficult paper to pass;
    • The pass rates in the last 4 sittings (2016/17) had all been higher than the long-term average so they were trying to introduce a major correction;
    The IFoA will simply take the advice of their appointed examiners.

14. Dom B

Dom B Member

First and foremost, it's good to hear that your operation went well and that you are OK now. Your health is far more important than these exams!

Secondly, the fact that you scored 53% on by far the hardest CT8 paper to pass since April 2010 (and the 2nd hardest in history - only by a small fraction!) whilst having to deal with a cancer diagnoses and operation in the weeks leading up to the exam is nothing short of incredible. You must be a very bright and resilient person!

I will be resitting in September and recommend you do the same. Given that you scored 53% (almost identical to my result) on that paper then you could sit 90% of the CT8 past papers tomorrow and easily pass.

Unfortunately this is just an exam paper lottery, so we have to prepare for the September paper being of similar difficulty to April. So that will mean memorising every proof, doing all the ASET & Revision notes 3 times over, and even then, perform flawlessly on the exam day - one calculation error and we will miss the 60% mark.

Let's get to it - good luck!

15. Benoy Soman

Benoy Soman Member

Definitely order revision notes and also order the mini-ASET for the April paper - will help shed more insight into the paper.
    I'll be resitting in September as well and also booked a spot on the Revision Day.
    Agree with Dom B - think positive and don't let this dent your confidence.
    Good to hear your op went well, you have a strong mindset - so just maintain self-belief.
    Good luck guys!

16. ljs84

ljs84 Member

Thanks all. Good luck to you both in September

17. almost_there

almost_there Member

I'm afraid that separating IFoA examiners from IFoA and absolving IFoA from any responsibility regarding anything their examiners or qualification is simply false. IFoA examiners are data processors on behalf of the IFoA, who are the data controllers. IFoA are responsible for the qualification.

18. Dom B

Dom B Member

Interesting. So what is your take on why the IFOA would allow this to happen?

19. almost_there

almost_there Member

I don't know but I feel bad for those who have failed, especially as they only have one more attempt at this until the 2019 curriculum change takes place.

20. Infinity

Infinity Member

Why
    Mr Cribb did say that no one would be disadvantaged or put in limbo. CT8 will be two exams in c2019 too.

21. Dom B

Dom B Member

Well appreciate your support. I am likely one of 100s of students who scored in the 50s and would have easily passed almost all other CT8 papers. If only we'd sat this exam in 2016 or 2017!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.