Major work areas for student giving SA5 or SA6

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by slayedit, Jan 11, 2018.

1. slayedit

slayedit Member

Hi,

Can someone highlight the major areas in which a student can work so that he may get his fellowship with clearing SA5 (Finance) or SA6 (Investments)?

By major work areas I mean some specific fields, like credit risk, or stock and securities....or any other relevant field.

Looking forward to a good reply!

Thanks
    slayedit

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2018
    Ciaran likes this.
  2. slayedit

slayedit Member

Anyone?

3. Jay S

Jay S Member

I haven't reached SA5/SA6 yet but that will be my route as I work in investment. You can work in Investment Consulting (as I do) and work in many fields within this such as liability hedging for DB pension schemes using gilts and derivatives (part of asset-liability modelling), conducting risk management for DB and DC schemes, being on the client facing side etc. Or alternatively investment advice to insurance companies/sovereign wealth funds.

Away from consulting, you could work at an asset manager, in a bank or as a portfolio manager. Or directly in the investment arm of an insurance company/DB pension scheme.

Also nothing stopping you from working in pensions and applying your investment knowledge to help aid your work on the liability side.

Could also go into stuff such as economic-scenario-generating, which is basically building models to mimic different economic scenarios for risk management/research purposes. As you can imagine this requires quite an advanced ability of programming and these jobs often also require a masters/PHD.

Hope that helps.

slayedit likes this.
  4. thekang

thekang Member

Which ST and SA papers you took does not really matter. Most people only look at whether you have FIA and your previous work experience. If you want to specialize in a certain area, move there ASAP to build up work experience.

5. slayedit

slayedit Member

Do you mean to say that work experience in any field relating to actuarial science will count, irrespective of which ST/SA papers we do?