What exams to take in April sitting?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by actuaryinmaking, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have applied for exemptions for CT3 and CT7 and waiting for a response from the Educations team.

I have decided to take CT1 and CT2 in April and I would like to take one more paper. If I don't get exempted from CT7 then I will do this exam. If I do, what paper should I do with CT1 and 2. Keeping in my mind the syllabus change in 2019, I was thinking of doing CT5 in September.

Thank you

2. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

CT1&5 and CT4&6 are going to combined into singles.

And if we see base subjects under CTs are 1,2,3,7.
    I would say you should take CT3.
    CT3 - because it is base to most of the other CTs.

3. Thank you for your response. I will be getting an exemption from CT3 for sure, just not sure about CT7.
    If I take CT4 in April then I will have to do CT5 and 6 in Sept. Is that feasible?
    Thank you

4. There are a lot of formulae and different notations both in CT1 and CT5. If you want to go for both, make sure you have enough time to get familiar with them.

If you are already comfortable with the formulae and notations then you are a rock star. You will enjoy studying both CT1 and CT5.

Also be aware of the fact that each subject will take a good amount of time and practice to come to a level called pass! So consider the 3rd subject wisely not emotionally.

Good luck!

Balvin

5. Infinity

Infinity Member

Please do let me know if you have passed an exam but it gets rendered worthless and you have to do it all over again. I’m being criticized as being in the minority due to this problem. It seems there are other students who will be affected by this too...

6. annuitydue

annuitydue Member

I don't think you're being criticised due to this problem.
    It's obvious to everyone that a lot of students will be impacted. There's a chance that everyone who fails CT1, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 8 next time could be impacted. All to different scales though. And some of them won't be impacted at all, and some may face a slightly easier future on paper.

7. Infinity

Infinity Member

Good. I appreciate that you agree and thanks for your support.

So there is agreement that people will be impacted. Out of the 10,000 students, it’s likely that 6,000 will be impacted. We can put a reasonably certain estimate on this.

I also understand that if you haven’t got CT1 and 5 you get an easier ride in the new system.

This is why it is unequitable.

The IFoA can come up with a number for this in their Defence, but at the end of the day it doesn’t matter, the offending statement is that current students wouldn’t be disadvantaged. It doesn’t matter if some have an advantage. It doesn’t negate the fact since the IFoA and actuaries have to understand these are real people and not just some statistic. This is probably why our pension pots have black holes.

There was a very simple solution which the IFoA chose not to follow. Probably since they thought they could make some money out of it (I have some evidence on this too)

The IFoA could have just kept the exams seperate. There was no point to join them up for no reason whatsoever.

If my CT1 and CT6 exams were not being rendered worthless and I had to do three new exams with updated content I would have no complaint.

The question is what should now be done?

I have made mistakes on exams and I have failed and accepted this. I don’t think I have ever even asked for a remark, which probably I should have done given some of the things I’ve seen on here. I have had to sacrifce my personal holidays and pay money from my own pocket for exams akin to a fine for my failure.

What are the IFoA going to do for causing this fiasco?

8. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Posters - sorry but this is just starting off where the other thread left off. Things got a little sour.

There's nothing wrong with these posts in isolation but this thread is not about transition - despite the loose connection.

Let the dust settle for a day or two please and then feel free to comment on a relevant thread that we'll start or reopen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.