1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Assignment X3, Question X3.6

Discussion in 'SP8' started by corpact90, Jun 25, 2017.

1. corpact90

corpact90 Member

Hi everyone, I have a doubt related to the solution of the question X3.6.
    In the section where the expenses are calculated, I don't understand why they are discounted by three months.
    The question said that expenses are initially £1 per month throughout the life of the policy and paid 9 months after inception.
    Now if we considered that for a policy starting on 01/01/2016 the expenses would be 1*12=12, if the policy starts on the 01/07/2016 (mid year), this value would be 12*1.01^6= 12.74. Interest rate is 1%.
    Now this amount would be paid 9 months after this time, so at the inception, 01/07/2016 the expenses should be 12.74*1.01^(-9).
    What I don't understand is that in the solution this value is discounted for three months only as the expenses are paid 9 months after 01/01/2016.
    Why is that?
    Thank you very much for your help

2. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

From point (n)
    "Assume all claims and per policy expenses are paid 9 months after inception."

3. corpact90

corpact90 Member

That's why I don't understand, in all the calculations it is assumed that the policy is incepted at 01/07/2016 which is the mid-year point. In this case the expenses will be paid at 01/04/2017, 9 months after. The amount should therefore be 12.74, which is £1 per month accumulated six months to get to 01/07/2016, when the policy starts, discounted 9 months. Why do they do only three?

4. Hemant Rupani

12.74 is the inflated at inception.
    & For overall year, expected average date is 6 months.
    So payments 12.74*1.01^6 is inflated at occurance date, but payment date is different.

We know, Inflation applies upto occurrance date and discount factor applies upto payment date

So answer 12.74*1.01^6*1.01^(-9)

5. corpact90

corpact90 Member

Thanks, just a question, what do you mean with expected average date is 6 months?

6. Hemant Rupani

Expected average date for payments.
    As payments are made after 1,2,...12 months, average 6.

Well, I know answer is very naive.

7. corpact90

corpact90 Member

All clear, thanks