Suspicious CA3 pass mark/technical difficulties

Discussion in 'CA3' started by Gavin Kelly, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Gavin Kelly

Gavin Kelly Member

Sorry I meant to add that the SAR is free of charge

2. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

OMG! 16 marks off??? I am shocked and can't wait to find out what the outcome of actions are going to be!

What is the "putting things right" process?

To get the story straight, you have sent your appeal first, second you have received a SAR and in the end you have started the PTRP?

3. Gavin Kelly

Gavin Kelly Member

If you search on the actuaries web page for putting things right, there will be a link to a pdf, if you download that it will tell you all about it.

I never bothered appealing as I knew I would be chucking my money away, as going by what I have heard from other they don't look into it properly.

I know of someone who appealed and were not successful, but done the SAR where they got evidence that it wasn't 3rd marked when it should have been. He complained through Putting Things Right and was eventually refunded of his appeal fee and the paper was eventually 3rd marked. I am unsure of the outcome of the result of the exam. I am hoping this will be the case for me and my paper will eventually get marked properly.

See this other post, where there are many of these instances going on: https://www.acted.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/exam-marking-problems.12902/

4. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Cheers Gavin!

Can't wait for your news now....

5. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Hi there Aditya,

Have you taken any further steps with the IoA about your 3rd remark?

6. almost_there

almost_there Member

You can't appeal for inappropriate grade anymore, according to their webpage here of 24 May 2016:
    https://www.actuaries.org.uk/news-and-insights/news/exam-appeals-are-changing

"From 1 June you will be able to make an appeal either on administration grounds, or if there are mitigating circumstances that could not be made known immediately after the exam."

Also, interestingly it states:
    "These markers have no idea what mark the other has awarded, and if the two marks are far apart, or you are close the pass mark, your script is marked again."

That wording indicates to me it is to be marked again as per the first two times. Personally I wouldn't settle for anything less & would consider a failure to do as promised here a breach of contract.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2017
  7. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Gavin, to get the story straight based on the IoA response in your post. Was your paper through the 3rd marking but the SAR did not state this?

Or was your paper through the 3rd marking after you have raised/reported an issue? In this case, I don't get the response that your paper has been through "the correct process".....

8. Gavin Kelly

Gavin Kelly Member

In my SAR I had a column which was headed 'Moderated Mark'. This was a paragraph explaining my final mark.

After querying this, Education Services told me that 3rd marking may involve:
    • a full remark
    • a partial remark of some questions
    • an overall review
    I was told that mines was an overall review, and was evidenced by the 'Moderated Mark' column.

To me, and to almost everyone else, the definition of 3rd marking should mean:

marked in exactly the same way as was carried out by the 1st and 2nd markers, i.e. independently and without knowing the marks offered by the other markers

How anyone can say it may mean something else is beyond me, which is why I have raised a complaint against them.

Lapsed_Student and Viki2010 like this.
  9. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

You are absolutely right! I always assumed (without questioning) that the 3rd remark is an independent exercise. Why is the methodology of the 3rd remark not included in any handbook, website etc.?

almost_there likes this.
  10. almost_there

almost_there Member

https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studying/after-exams/make-appeal
    "The grounds for appeal must be related to:
    Alleged irregular procedure or improper conduct of an assessment. This can include procedures for question setting, marking and results moderation of the examinations"

How can one appeal without knowing the full details of their procedures for "question setting, marking and results moderation of the examinations"?

A step forward would be to ask for these. If they're refused, draw their attention to this web page.

11. almost_there

almost_there Member

One needs to request the fully detailed documentation of the marking process, ask where in it the above appears, the date the document was written...

Viki2010 likes this.
  12. almost_there

almost_there Member

Exactly. Ask them for it, as per my post above.

13. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I would be particularly interested to see strong evidence of proper 3rd remark process, where this part of the process is irregular and subject to "random decisions".

14. almost_there

almost_there Member

We have statements claiming there is a process and asserting it has been followed appropriately. We don't have full documentation of these processes, thus we are unable to independently verify and satisfy ourselves this is the case, depriving us of the opportunity to make an informed appeal on those grounds.

15. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

And secondly, even when you obtain your SAR results and additionally follow up on the 3rd remark aspect or any outstanding queries following from SAR results, it is too late to appeal!

This to me is a closed loop and leaves you with nothing else than go back, pay exam fees and retake the exam until you finally pass.

almost_there likes this.
  16. almost_there

almost_there Member

Too late to appeal with their internal process but not too late to put it to FRC then challenge it in a small claims court.

17. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Has anybody tried that before?

18. fiend

fiend Member

wow what a lolz thread.
    but I think you guys are really over reacting

dubactuary likes this.
  19. almost_there

almost_there Member

acted edited your post too?