Motivational Stories: Re Actuarial Study

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by hi5, Sep 9, 2007.

1. hi5

hi5 Member

Post your motivational stories regarding your actuarial academic heroics here.

E.g:
    I did CT2 in 3 days just before the exam.......etc......etc......

We all need the inspiration.

2. What about the 100% in CT3 as seen in this month's Actuary?
    Pretty inspirational I'd say (although no mention of how many millions of hours of revision went into it!!).

3. Revelation

Revelation Member

Well yes and no; it's a bit absurd to ask anyone with a maths degree to do CT3.

4. LouiseF

LouiseF Member

I did the old 103 a couple of years ago during the summer session. I did a three day block tutorial 4 weeks before the exam. Due to people dropping out there was only 4 of us and the other three were all repeating. The tutorial was a nightmare. The tutor kept singling me out. Obviously he knew I hadn't a rashers, and was trying to help, but it was excruitating. Anyway the embarassment must have worked and I worked so hard over the four weeks that I managed to pass!

So that's my exam hint - embarassement as a motivational device!

5. 4EverStudent

4EverStudent Member

Well, I turned up at the old 201 exam (now CA3 I think) after a studyless summer and knocked out a quick letter in half an hour and left. Two months later and I was delighted to discover that I had passed! Admittedly, this was in the days when the exam had just 1 question and was only 1.5 hours long!

(LouiseF - what does your 'rashers' expression mean? I've never heard of that!)

6. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

I think anyone with a PhD in medical statistics is likely to score close to 100% on ct3.

Maybe she couldn't be bothered to apply for an exemption?

Maybe I should take my niece's maths test at school and see if I can get 100%?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2007
  7. LouiseF

LouiseF Member

Yeah, sorry about that. An old Irish-ism! It means "I haven't a clue". Not sure where the bacon reference comes from. If there's any Irish people out there, perhaps you know better than me? Or maybe you don't have a rashers either!!

8. Olfin Bedwere

Olfin Bedwere Member

To be fair, it's a good effort getting 100% on any test, no matter how easy it is. There's always a chance of making a small arithmetic error or just forgetting 1-mark worth of bookwork etc

Besides, CT3 isn't that easy, c'mon...

9. fair play to her...

good effort. though i wasn't convinced about the authenticity of her CT3 study tip #4: "if you come to a question in the exam that you don't know how to answer move on and come back to it at the end". i imagine if you end up getting 100%, one probably didn't encounter too many questions en route that one couldn't answer first time round.

or perhaps this entry was included by the editor. zoe's real number 4 being "if you want to get 100% in one of these things, go find a quiet spot in a forest for a few months and study there. and don't emerge for any reason whatsoever - even if you're required for an Actuary magazine photoshoot."

10. fiend

fiend Member

I think her tip is a good one and something I personally do and I haven't failed an actuarial exam yet.

I work through the paper quite quickly and do what I can and if there is something I can't do right away then I leave it until I have finished the rest of the paper. I then come back to it and give it some more thought.

I have also never run out of time in an exam either yet! Only a few more exams to go too.

My motivational story is that I did CT7, CT8 and CT2 in an april sitting and started revision for it in February. I also never actually opened or used the notes, just the flashcards and revision booklets. No asets either :p

11. Zapher

Zapher Member

Haha I agree!!!
    LOL nicely said:rolleyes:

12. jeaneu

jeaneu Member

For a truly inspirational story, for all those struggling students out there, look out for the November issue of the Student Page - I promise you you're in for a real treat!

(Jen&)Jean

13. King

King Member

Still waiting on October's thanks to those greedy pr&cks in the Royal Mail.

14. hi5

hi5 Member

Thanks. By when will the issue be available online.

15. anon2

anon2 Member

I look forward to the visit of my sulking postman.

16. jeaneu

jeaneu Member

I think the online issues usually become available around the beginning of the month.... so not long now!!

17. Can you even read all those notes in 7 days?! I mean without going totally insane?