Sept 2014 q.6 part (i)

Discussion in 'SP9' started by Retrieva, Mar 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Retrieva

Retrieva Active Member

The question asks for calculation of regulatory capital.

I understand the theory of VaR but find it tricky in use.

In the question, investment returns are expected to be 4%. Std Dev is 25% of mean. And 0.5th percentile is 2.2 Std Devs from mean.

Firstly, why is VaR not Min (0; L - Z)
    where Z = L[1+(25% x 4% x 2.2)]
    L = lump sum invested at start of year.
    My reasoning is 0.5th percentile in this case is 1.8% returns (4% x 2.2 x 25%), hence does not result in a loss of any of the initial investment and therefore should be reserved for.

Alternatively, why is it not
    (1.04 x L x 25% x 2.2) - 0.04 x L

My reasoning here is expected value at end of period is 1.04 x L. 0.5th percentile is 2.2 x 25% of this. But since this reduction includes the returns gained on the initial investment, then x L should be deducted from the result to find the value that is at risk of loss within the year. Why is the VaR not lump-sum at start x 1.04 x 2.2 x 25%

The model answer says VaR = 4% x 25% x 2.2 x L. In my mind, this is a positive return of 1.8%, not a loss, although lower than the 4% we expected.

Help find the lost brother.

2. Retrieva

Retrieva Active Member

Correction, this should read: ... does not result in a loss of any of the initial investment and therefore should NOT be reserved for.

3. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I'm a bit confused by your argument

Firstly, why is VaR not Min (0; L - Z)
    where Z = L[1+(25% x 4% x 2.2)]
    L = lump sum invested at start of year.

L - Z does give L x (25% x 4% x 2.2) which is the model answer

The VaR is not measuring absolute losses, but losses relative to that expected. If the 4% return has been priced into a premium say then a lower return than expected can be considered a loss

4. Retrieva

Retrieva Active Member

Thanks a lot, Simon. The premium assumption argument makes sense.

Some follow-up questions to help complete my understanding:

What about if we assume this is not for regulatory capital but for an investment portfolio estimating its VaR. If we assume that 'investment returns are expected to be 4%. Std Dev is 25% of mean. And 0.5th percentile is 2.2 Std Devs from mean.'; would the VaR still be 4% x 25% x 2.2 x L? This is where my intuitive sense of VaR here breaks down because the L would still be wholly intact so none of it is at risk.

In what 'state of the world' would we have a lower value than L at the end of the period. What would need to be the Std Dev as a % of mean and the .5th percentile distance from the mean? I'm thinking the Std Dev. as % of mean may be quoted as negative in that case? But how would we interret the negative result for VaR in that case?

5. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

1. You have still suffered a "loss" relative to what you have expected. If you are investing to meet some liabilities (or simply saving for retirement etc) the value of your assets has fallen. VaR is simply a measure of the extent of the possible fall in value of the assets.
    2. The VaR above is a loss/negative. The formula is L-Z. This means the result is negative. It is being expressed as a positive. VaRs might be equivalently expressed as "-100" or "a loss of 100"

6. Retrieva

Retrieva Active Member

Thank you, Simon.