To pass CA3 use ActEd, and think A-levels

Discussion in 'CA3' started by giulianog, Feb 5, 2017.

1. giulianog

giulianog Member

Dear fellow (not Fellow yet) students, I have finally passed the CA3 exam on the second attempt but I could have easily got stuck here for much longer notwithstanding that I have a lot of communication experience. But in IFoA exams experience is nothing, textbook and syllabus is 100%.

Two take-aways from my CA3 experience:
    - Do invest some money in having one or two mock exams marked by ActEd. It is not as expensive as other subjects, it is returned after just a few days and it is very useful feedback. You can also get your presentation on YouTube and marked. Compared to wasting at least 6 months to resit CA3 and its additional cost, it is a no brainer.
    - As part of that feedback, I figured that you should consider your audience as someone who is preparing for A levels. When choosing your vocabulary and sentence structure think of 16-18 year old students, as in truth they will be on par or above the average reader of your letters to the general public. For memos/presentations to a more sophisticated audience, you should aim at most to undergraduate students.

With this, probably goodbye to this forum and best wishes to all of you.

Retrieva likes this.
  2. bystander

bystander Member

Congratulations! Helpful positive tips too which I hope many will take on board. A positive attitude on the day helps no end too regardless of what questions pitch up.

3. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Yes indeed - congratulations giulianog! Thank you also for the positive feedback and for taking the trouble to help others by posting useful hints & tips on this forum.

Retrieva likes this.