ST2 before CA1

Discussion in 'SP2' started by Epsilon7, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Epsilon7

Epsilon7 Keen member

Hi,

Is it advisable to take ST2 before CA1. I am aware that it is possible to do so, but I am interested in knowing the experience of people have been through this and who have passed ST2 before CA1. Does someone who has taken CA 1 before St2 have better chances of passing the exam?

Thank you

2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

There's a lot of overlap between CA1 and ST2, eg models, data, assumptions, underwriting, reinsurance. Whichever way round you take it, the overlapping subjects will be harder the first time you see them, but easier the next time. So studying CA1 will help ST2, but also studying ST2 will help CA1.

CA1 is a particularly long course, so many students prefer to sit it in the winter. Most students sit CA1 in the winter and then ST2 in the summer (or a later session). However, some students will sit ST2 in the summer and then sit CA1 the following winter - the CA1 course won't feel so big as they've seen parts of it already in ST2 - but they need to be aware when sitting ST2 that they'll need to spend a bit more time on it than students that have sat CA1.

So overall, I don't think it matters too much which way round you do ST2 and CA1.

It would be interesting to hear what people think that have previously sat these exams.

Best wishes

Mark

3. bystander

bystander Member

Going back many years I passed life before passing the equivalent of what is ca1 but I had studied it. There is definitely a risk attached in not at least reading ca1 first. As we are just entering the run to the April exam I'd do ca1 but it's up to you. I don't know many people who skip straight to St after ct.

4. KhoaDNguyen

KhoaDNguyen Keen member

I passed my last CT and ST2 April this year but I haven't sit any CA1. I think if you are working in Life then ST2 will requires less study hours and you should be able to pass without the knowledge of CA1.