1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Animations in PowerPoint

Discussion in 'CA3' started by jake14bowman, Oct 26, 2016.

1. jake14bowman

jake14bowman Member

Hi

I'm just a bit confused between the course notes / marking schedule and some of the X assignments / example presentations in the online classroom.

The example presentations often use simple animations as a way of breaking down a slide. e.g. showing a chart at the top of the slide; and then an animation revealing key comments.

However I thought I saw in the course notes that you should NOT use animations. I understand the need for anything shown to be simple and engaging but don't want to include any if I'll be actually marked down because of it.

Please can someone clarify?

Thanks

2. Pede

Pede Member

Animations won't be recognised by the IFoA software. But marks are available for engagement, and one way of keeping the audience awake is to 'reveal' key comments as you describe. You can do this by using two consecutive slides - one without the comments, the next with the comments - makes it look like an animation but really it isn't.

3. jake14bowman

jake14bowman Member

Ok thanks and makes sense about the multiple slides.

Was just confused as to why the example presentations on the online classroom was using animations.

4. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Yes - sorry about this - The Online Classroom was produced before it became apparent that the IFoA's system wouldn't cope (well) with animations. The Course Notes refelect this limitation, but we haven't yet had time to update all the online examples. We will be doing this asap.

There are way more marks for other aspects of the presentation (other than 'engagement'), e.g. clarity of objectives, structure, simple language etc., so I recommend that you focus your efforts on these rather than worrying too much about engagement as such!