1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Production and costs

Discussion in 'CT7' started by Rupel, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Rupel

Rupel Member

Hi, I am not able to understand the relationship between costs and inputs. Can someone please explain how higher productivity of factors implies lower production costs. Kindly reply. Thanks.

2. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

There are some fix cost and some variable cost.
    Sobif you increase number of production variable cost to per product will be constant but fix cost to per will be decreasing until the full capacity.
    So overall cost per product will decrease until full capacity reached.

3. Rupel

Rupel Member

Hi, can you please explain a bit more, because I have difficulty understanding how when production is increased, variable cost remains fixed but fixed cost will be decreasing. Kindly help.

4. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

I'll give you 1-1 examples.
    Fixed cost:- rent
    Variable cost:- raw material

Now rent is fixed whether output is 1 or n(less than full capacity)
    You can see higher the output lower the rent per output

Now, raw material needs depends on output linearly. So, raw material per output will be constant.

Note:- there can also be some wastage but it would not count in direct cost.

5. Rupel

Rupel Member

I got the idea. Thank you very much Sir.