Past papers vs. Acted Mock Exams

Discussion in 'CA3' started by AllIsWell, Sep 27, 2016.

1. AllIsWell

AllIsWell Member

Fellow CA3'ers...

For those who have done or are presently doing this, what would you recommend? Say I've got time to attempt 2-3 papers under full exam conditions.

Should I revise the recent actual past exam papers. Or is there more to be gained from Acted's Mock papers?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2016
  2. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The difficulty in using just past papers is that it is hard to assess an attempt at a past paper using only the Examiners' Report. ActEd's ASET provides alternative model solutions along with ideas as to how the answer could have been planned (breaking that down into 'the why', 'the who', 'the what', and a storyboard). In addition we provide detailed marking schedules that can be used to assess attempts at answering the questions. ActEd's mock exams have similar explanatory content, hints and tips, in addition to model solutions.

I'm very interested to hear what recent CA3'ers suggest.

David

3. bystander

bystander Member

With communications, the best thing is practise practise practise so I'd do both. Usually I'd say if you are doing Acted mock I'd say have marking but don't think you've time. So instead try to find someone willing to look at your effort as well as self marking. You are not always your best critic. Whatever you do, full conditions are essential. There's so much that can be asked if you only have limited time chose papers that are very different.

4. AllIsWell

AllIsWell Member

Many thanks bystander. That's good advice.

David, I was certainly not comparing Acted's ASET against examiner's reports--I've got the ASET. I'm simply considering the relative benefits of reviewing past papers (including ASET) and doing Acted's mock papers, given limited time (4 weeks) available.

Of course, if time is unlimited.... I'd try them all :)