1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming an actuary as a mature student

Discussion in 'Careers' started by mikeyb, Jul 18, 2016.

1. mikeyb

mikeyb Member

Hi, everyone I am new to the Forum and this is my first post so please be kind! I'm going into my second year of University studying Mathematics and Statistics as I want to become an actuary once I finish my degree. I'm a mature student and will be 34 by the time I start applying for Graduate roles and am looking for some advice on what I could be doing now to differentiate myself against the other applicants. I was looking at maybe sitting the CT1 as a non-member and would probably do that next year before my workload bumps up in the my last few years at University, but was wondering if that makes any difference. The cost of doing this I calculated to be between £600-£700 and I don't mind investing in myself if there will be a good result by doing this exam. I'm not worried about workload as I can handle a large workload, I sat extra credits last year and passed everything at over 85% and have won a few small awards this year for Mathematics and Presenting (he boasts :)).

Also, I have a disability which to sum it up neatly is I can faint when I stand up or get too hot, even though it is controlled I do have limitations; the amount of walking I can do is limited, as I sometimes walk with a stick. I also still have the occasional faint (it's not as dramatic as it sounds, it looks like an absence), and I'm wondering if there is any part of the profession I should avoid. I've worked hard to get to this level as it used to be so bad I was pushed in a wheelchair and was medically dismissed from my previous employment, I used to plan, design and project manage kitchens and bathrooms and my days were typically 9-9, 5 days a week incl. weekends and drove on average 150 miles everyday (no exaggeration), at the age of 29 and don't want to take myself down a route that will make me unwell again.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice given and time taken, I'm maybe overthinking things and being too linear so I am happy to read any better methods to achieve my goals.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2016
  2. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

Hi mikeyb,
    I am really glad to see your determination, in spite of a set back. I really appreciate your will power and your self motivation to move forward.
    In actuarial profession, age is not a limit. So you needn't worry about what your age would be by the time you would graduate. Sine you are pursuing Mathematics and Statistics, it would be in your favour while you prepare for your actuarial papers.
    Actuarial profession is one the career options that have a balanced work life and private life so you might not be looking up to typical 9-9 job. As far as I currently know, there is not any such part of the profession that you have to avoid, but there is, others shall definitely point it out.

Regards,
    Shyam

3. bystander

bystander Member

You are inspirational and indeed age needn't be a barrier though naturally employers may be curious what drove your original career decision. You clearly have lots of interpersonal skills from your previous work and that is always a plus. Ct1 will prove commitment and give you a taste of the professions exam. It's a way off yet but where do you want to work eg consultancy which will give you potential to work with a range of clients, or a single organisation? I don't think your condition is an outright barrier to consulting but fainting in a client meeting may be awkward, but if medication helps that's fine. It's maybe easier in an office where people can know of and understand. Project management skills and planning are ply points too. Perhaps what you lack is financial services awareness so maybe even a part time job in a call centre will be incite full. It's not essential but may help you financially and give you knowledge at a high level. Good luck. With your application, I'm sure it will work out

4. mikeyb

mikeyb Member

Thanks for the replies, the fainting in front of a client is definitely a concern! Normally, I make a joke out of it and say there should be a sign above me saying 'buffering' haha, but in front of a client that could look a tad unprofessional! I'd love to work with clients, I'm very good with Mathematics and problem solving (I once had to plan a kitchen on wall that was circular), but I do have a core of sales within me and you can't beat a sales buzz. I think doing the CT1 is a good idea if more for myself and solidifying this is what I want to do for a living. I'm also applying for insight days at some of the big companies so I can see exactly what happens on a day to day basis. You're absolutely right about financial services and I will make sure that is something that I make sure I am upto speed on by the time it comes to application. My partner is a pensions analyst and mother in law is a financial planner so will get some help from them.

I'm tempted to be upfront with interviewers about what happened, and hope that as long as I paint it all in a positive light and how it's given me the drive and determination that I have now it'll be viewed in a good way.

5. bystander

bystander Member

Great plan. An insight day I swear landed me the job because what I picked up in just that short time. And yes use your contacts - shadowing with a customers consent may be a possibility though you must resist the temptation to chip in.