US student taking first UK exam...

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by yellowvonpen, Jul 15, 2016.

1. yellowvonpen

yellowvonpen Member

Posted in ST-9 too but figured there might be more traffic here...

Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society (USA) here, taking ST-9 in September. I have a few practical exam-day questions, due to the differences between US and UK exam procedures:
    1. What does the exam booklet (what you write the answers in) look like? Is it like this? http://www.shoplet.com/Roaring-Spri...0suI-bci-FOTDlhAN_Xh9y96f_Wn-q4HV0aAvhF8P8HAQ
    2. If I need extra paper (“continuation sheets”?) after the exam starts I request it from the proctor (invigilator) and I insert it (somehow?) into my booklet, correct? [I have big handwriting]
    3. Confirming what I read in the exam instructions: “Only the right hand sheets of the answer booklet may be used for writing answers.”…true?
    4. I can write my answers out of order as long as I clearly write which question I’m answering, correct? In other words, if I want to answer #1, then #3, then #2 I can simply answer them in that order without having to leave space for #2, right (as long as I write clearly which one I’m answering)?
    5. Suppose I think I’ve written all I can/want to for a question, and the next sheet I use for the next question. But then I realize I want to add content to the first question…is there a way to insert sheets? Or do I simply clearly label the extra sheet and insert it at the back?
    6. Can I bring ear plugs into the exam, in case there’s outside noise?

Many thanks!

2. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

Hi, I am a student of Institute of Actuaries of India(IAI).
    as IAI adopted IFoA's exam structure I think I can answer your Qs.
    and I consider this as General Qs rather than ST9's

1. sort of, Yes.
    2. you can ask for extra sheets, but you've to insert it at the end because page numbering is given in the answer booklet.
    3. true! right-hand side(line page) is for writing answer/solution and left-hand side(blank page) is for rough work.
    4. you can write any Qs in any order, you can utilise 15 minutes reading time to decide to order ... But, from a seminar I attended, you should write part Qs(say, Q1 (i) (ii) (iii)) in order to not to cause confusion.
    5. this happens to me, and then I continued my answer from some page... and I noted that solution is continued from this page to this page, as you can't insert any page between first issued answer booklet(point 2). However, you can manage extra sheets unless you wrote a number on a page. this way will be fine I asked from invigilator
    6. I think answer is No, you may ask institute and let me know :D.

3. yellowvonpen

yellowvonpen Member

Thank you so much! I'll ask the IFoA about the ear plugs :)

4. bystander

bystander Member

Re 3. My advice is right Nothing on he left hand page. Don't even use it for rough workings. The papers are scanned. What you are doing is effectively writing on both sides if you use the left and it can interfere with scanning. So quite literally, you should not write on the left hand page. If you want rough work, then I suggest using extra pages that you then do not submit - note you will have to destroy them in the exam room - check with the profession on this. Or do your rough work on the actual exam paper. That way it cannot interfere at all with your script. Also if you want to leave a bank page in the booklet that's fine. All pages are looked at. They don't just stop marking when they come to a blank page.

5. bystander

bystander Member

By the way re the ear plugs, you need to be able to hear invigilator so much vent if allowed plugs aren't a good idea. You would not want to be accused of cheating for example if you fail to hear he announcement the exam is over and you continue writing. Or, heaven forbid, there is an emergency. If noise is excessive or disturbances arise, invigilator so have an incident sheet to note down these things and circumstances are then taken into account.

6. Dillon

Dillon Member

Wow, I've never noticed the rule that mentions only writing on the right hand side, and I'm almost done!

You can answer in any order, just make sure you write the question number at the top of each page. I often move on to a new question and then realise I want to write more for the previous question but have no space. I usually just write a note, for example "answer continued later on after question X". I don't think it's an issue as long as you clearly mark which one you are answering.

If you run out of paper you will be given a second booklet that you must attach to the first one using a clip. Make sure you put your details on it and mark the "used additional sheets" box at the front of the original.

7. yellowvonpen

yellowvonpen Member

Thanks all!