1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for a novice please...

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by the_counting_chic, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Good day
    I am writing CT1 as a non-member of IFoA. I have no tertiary math qualifications. I've looked at the approved list of calculators, and have read many forum posts regarding this across different Actuarial societies. The Texas BAII Plus and the Multiview, as well as the Casio FX85 seem to be favoured.

I have no preference regarding these tools, as the last one I have used was in 2002 in high school.

I would prefer a calculator that would save time in the exam, and be something I can use going forward with the other CT subjects. The price is irrelevant.

Advice will be welcomed.

Thanks!

2. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

I like TI multiview over casio...
    I have used TI-30XS Multiview and some Casios.

Advantage- while performing calculation, you can choose from previous calculations you've done just by going up-down... Whereas on Casio you need to save any output to memory
    4 line screen in Multiview, Casio have 2 lines.

Disadvantage - Its hardware quality is bad, Casio is rough-and-tough. You can throw your Casio calculator, you'll find it working...

PS: I don't know about BA11 plus.

3. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The casio has table mode which can solve trial and error equations in Subject CT1. However, the new texas I believe has a quadratic equation solver. Why not use both?

4. Harashima Senju

Harashima Senju Ton up Member

Great find. Gonna get myself one for September season

5. bystander

bystander Member

Whichever you choose, get one quickly and start practising with it.

6. amevas

amevas Member

So does that mean we can use two calculators in the exam?

7. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

Definitely! The Institute has prescibed certain model of calculators, not number of calculators!

Regards,
    Shyam