1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Exam Year 2006 May Q9

Discussion in 'CT1' started by Srijana Raghunath, Mar 15, 2016.

1. In question, it is given that the discount rate is 15%, but in solution calculations are done taking i = 15%. Shouldn't it be i = 13%?

Question is as follows:

Q9) A company ABC is considering investing in a project. The cost of project will be Rs.10 crore at the beginning of the first year. There are further costs at the beginning of second to fifteenth year. The cost at the beginning of second year will be Rs.1.5 crore and will increase every year thereafter at a rate of 5%.
    The income will be Rs.3.5 crore at the end of each of first 5 years, increasing by Rs.50 lakh at the end of each of sixth to fifteenth year.

The company ABC sets a discount rate of 15% pa to evaluate this project.

(i) Explain what is meant by discounted payback period of a project (2)
    (ii) Calculate net present value of the project (7)
    (iii) Calculate the discounted pay back period for the project

2. Muppet

Muppet Member

why do you think it should be 13%? where does this come from?

3. d = 15%
    d = i / (i+1)
    hence, i = 13%

Am i incorrect?

4. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Two things are wrong here. The first is that when we use a risk discount rate in projects it is not actually a discount rate. It is an interest rate. The second issue is that if we were to convert using the formula stated then you would get i = 17.65%.

5. Thank you. I had not considered it to be risk discount rate and indeed, my calculation was also incorrect.

6. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Glad I could help.