SA2 retaker advice

Discussion in 'SA2' started by r_narshi, Jul 9, 2015.

1. r_narshi

r_narshi Member

Hi

I got my SA2 results today and found that I'd failed. This is potentially the last exam if i pass CA3 later this year. I aim to retake SA2 in October.

Are the X assignments unchanged (they are the 2015 versions)? I should probably attempt all of these again and also the mock exams.

I just wanted some advice on what additional study material is available for me to use this time round, other than just the notes and past papers.

Thanks

2. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

Hi
    I face the same predicament.
    I have the courses and SA2 remaining and I failed this time(FB)
    I had done the mocks and past papers.
    Am clueless on how to proceed now for Oct 15.
    Any advice highly appreciated.
    Regards

3. ankita.sadre

ankita.sadre Member

Hi

I passed SA2 yesterday. It was my first attempt and fortunately got done with it.

I don't know if this works 100%, but it did for me. so here is what I did.

Read the whole syllabus at least twice, some parts thrice.

Made my own summaries to go through chapters quickly. I never entirely rely on the Summary provided in the end of chapter.

Did all question banks, X series and revised them twice.

Past exam papers from 2010 onwards (or 2009, can't remember) and revised them again.

Extra reading definitely helped me. Read the actuary magazine not in detail, just for relevant topics.

The topical issues list released by Acted is extremely useful.
    I read all newspaper articles and papers published on the actuarial websites related to all those topical issues and Solvency II.
    Note that I only read the extra content, did not try remembering it because you don't have to and cannot as it is too much. It helps to widen your thinking and understand practical issues even if you don't directly work in all those fields.

Regularly checked the discussions and questions posted on this forum. People always come up with questions which may not even have occurred to you. And the responses of the tutors are great!

The questions for SA are never really core reading but extra reading definitely helps you apply to core reading to real life situations and I feel it is a MUST for SA2.

I have never felt the need for any extra material ever or any extra mock exams in the past and is not needed for SA2 either. We already have a lot to study here!

Hopefully this works for you!
    Good luck!
    Ankita

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  4. Mike Lewry

Mike Lewry Member

For those who weren't successful in SA2 this time round, my heart goes out to you. I've been there and it's not pleasant.

The response already on this thread is an excellent example of the effort and dedication that is most likely to result in a solid pass - thanks for sharing.

Our general advice for retakers may be found here:
    http://www.acted.co.uk/Html/help_and_advice_retaking_a_subject.htm

The items that are available for SA2 are:
    http://www.acted.co.uk/estore/estore_product_list.fwx?webtype=DISTANCE&websubject=SA2

If anyone has experience of a successful resit, it would be great to hear how you achieved it. For me personally, it was a realisation that I hadn't taken the subject seriously enough the first time round and that a much deeper understanding of each topic was needed. I therefore spent much more time thinking carefully about each topic and finding out about how it related to other topics and how if fitted in with what went on in my company.

5. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Has anybody from the re-takers group have gone for counselling?

I really don't want to retake SA2 and would be really keen in finding out what are the possible difficulties that people are facing and how to deal with them?