IAI difficulty level

Discussion in 'CT3' started by Jammy, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Jammy

Jammy Very Active Member

Hi all,

From what I've heard and read, in recent years, IAI has put out some nasty CT3 papers, possibly in reaction to the increase in candidates.

Also, again from what I've heard and read, IAI papers have moved to a more standard/predictable format with fewer tricky questions, in the last 2 or so diets.

Since I'm appearing for CT3 this May, I'd like to know if these 2 bits are true.
    If they are indeed moving towards a more standardized paper with fewer tricky questions, which papers (Eg: may 2011) would not be ideal for mock attempts / practice?

Would it be advisable to skip these papers and attempt 10 other papers? Time is a big constraint with college exams coming up, hence I'd like to go for the most appropriate papers for practice.

Thank you :)

2. Jammy

Jammy Very Active Member

This is Urgent! Could someone help out?

3. Rambler

Rambler Member

I would emphasise that I'm NOT studying CT3 or any of the other Actuarial exams.

However, in my experience of exams in general, I would say it is very dangerous to try and predict what might come up in the paper you are about to sit! It is obviously essential to know what is the core material for your subject and therefore going through 'standard' past questions should be a big help. With regard to the 'tricky' questions, see what bits of the core material you could use to make a start. Even if you can't complete the whole question you can still get some marks for method so don't give up too soon but remember time constraints too! The other point, of course, is that if you are finding a particular question 'tricky' it is likely that many other candidates are having similar difficulties!

Good luck!

4. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

The papers patterns are simply not predictable. As long as you are comfortable with the "objectives", you should do well. Otherwise, we're attempting to predict random numbers here.

5. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

From the papers I have seen the IAI CT3 papers have been harder than the IFoA.

However for my other subjects (CT1 and CT6) they appear to be easier.

I hadn't noticed them getting easier - but I have not been following them very closely - apologies.

6. bpatra

bpatra Member

Ct3&ct4 have been the most unpredictable exams of IAI.Usually been on the tougher side.
    Solving one particular question or question paper doesn't guarantee anything. The whole idea is to learn new things and get familiar with unseen,unusual questions.So practice as much as possible. Best of luck!