When to stop exams?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by VV1990, Jan 28, 2015.

1. VV1990

VV1990 Member

Hi All,

I was wondering when most people think you should stop the exams, say if you were really struggling with them?

I flew through the CTs and CA1 but have been stuck for two years on the ST/SAs (granted some of these weren't proper attempts). I find that I am never able to finish a paper and think this is because I am just generally slower at doing exams.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or had been in similar position?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015
  2. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

Recently I failed in 3 exams(Oct/Nov sitting) even though I know most of the concepts, so I can say I am in similar position.

I'd say Never stop doing!
    I believe deep inside you know why you failed so. Remove the problems, change plans etc. then give exam but don't quit. If your mind is divergent(like me), then remove the divergence(even its tough).

3. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I took 2 years to finish the CTs and then 5 to finish the rest - so I hear you!

The key is to find out why you failed. There are several ways to do this - you could pay £25 and look at your script together with either the examiners solutions or our ASET.

Alternatively, you could get some kind of marking (assignment or mocks) as many of the markers also mark for the exams so they'll be able to give you some feedback which should help you see where the issues are.

4. bpatra

bpatra Member

I am doing my last ct.so cannot say much about STs.But I believe passing any subject boils down to understanding the concepts and practicing a lot.I got FD in one ct and ultimately passed when prepared well.An honest assessment of one's strength and weakness should help.I would say don't give up.

As for HR, I think taking 3 exams at a time is not a good idea even if you study full time.It's a bit too much for the mind.Imagine this-taking 2 at a time,preparing well would mean 2 pass.Going at this rate you can complete CTS in 2 years.so why not maximize your chances and spare yourself from the pain of retaking exams.

Good luck!

5. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

Hi bpatra,
    Actually I failed so because of some stupid reasons.
    Even if I gave 1 or 2 CT(s) , I had failed then.
    This time I'm able to give & pass 4 CTs in May,2015. But IAI don't allow.

6. bystander

bystander Member

When to stop? Only if you truly believe you cannot achieve it or no longer want to achieve it. But before stopping, have a plan on how it will impact your career, potential earnings etc. Remember now that there is other levels than Fellowship so all is not lost.

But for now recommendation is a full hearted attempt at a subject you most find interesting of the ones you have left. Try new material that you haven't used before and don't simply rely on your old notes because you need to study actively not passively.

You say the cause may be being slower than other candidates. Work on this. Quite often its not that you are slower but less succinct in your answers. Get to the point quickly and avoid repetition. Exam technique is definitely different on the later subjects, and using reading time well really can make a difference.

If this yeilds a bad fail, then maybe yes you do feel like stopping. But ultimately the choice is yours. Be happy whichever way you choose and don't have regrets.

7. JayDee

JayDee Member

If you're done with CA1 and the CTs there's no reason you wont pass the STs and SA. Also I would recommend that you carefully examine your choice of ST. Go with what interests you rather than what you feel is easy to pass. What usually happens at the ST stage is that work starts getting more and more demanding and you're not able to give the exams enough time. I recommend planning out the next two years down to the hour. It takes a lot more to pass an ST and SA compared to a CT. I gave up pretty much everything to focus on passing.

I agree with John that there are quite a few products on offer that will help you understand why you failed. I can vouch for the script critique offered by IFoA - it worked for me (CA3).

8. jensen

jensen Member

Take a break when you have exhausted your study benefits with your current employer :D

9. jollyfakey

jollyfakey Member

I breezed through the CTs fairly quickly too. There was never an exam sitting when i didnt pass either 1 or 2 exams.

Post-CTs, I have gone 3 exam sittings without a pass. Quite frustrating, but i aint gonna give up!! NEVER! Either my hardwork pays eventually, or someday the examiner would set 'MY' questions :D

10. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

The post-CT blip is expected since most people start working after their CT series. No point in passing all the 15 papers without equally stunning work progress.