CA2 Pass Mark (or range?)

Discussion in 'CA2' started by limamichelle, Jan 14, 2015.

1. limamichelle

limamichelle Active Member

Hi All,
    I just finished the CA2 exam and thought i did reasonably well for the time i got. i could've made more worthy conclusions in my summary, but i didn't have enough time to state more than the obvious in the graphs and make some face value conclusions.

I came to work thinking if maybe got around 60%, but i was told the pass mark is around 70%! is this true? should i hope to store around 75-80% to be confident of passing this?

This seams a little grand to me, considering the CT's were about 60-65% for a Pass (i passed all my CT's first time with no real problems). I would hate to fail CA2 :mad:

kind Regards

2. JayDee

JayDee Member

No one really knows the pass mark but yes it is meant to be higher than the CT's from what I hear. However I've always felt that people who went through the exam with ease, laid out a clean audit trail and a well structured summary always pass. On the other hand if you feel like you didn't understand what the model wanted or weren't confident about the results then there's trouble!

3. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

I remember the IAI instructors in the two day session mentioning it was around 65%.

4. ntickner

ntickner Very Active Member

The pass mark varies for each exam paper, but is usually around 65% (certainly no more than 5% each way). The mark will depend on the difficulty of the exam - such as, how easy is it to come up with conclusions and next steps, or how many steps there are to the methodology to describe, etc.

Part of the higher pass mark is the fact that you used to be 'given' 15 marks (independence, and techniques). But based on my experience, a paper that gets less than 60 marks is generally pretty poor, and one getting more than 75 is excellent. That might seem like a narrow range for borderline cases, but it does usually work that way.

5. econkong

econkong Member

Agree with previous threads:)

In the CA2 preparation day we were told that 70 would be a very safe pass. but I guess depending on how difficult the scenarios are, pass mark may be revised downward slightly.

Also by looking at the pass rates for each previous exams (there was once 100% pass rate! although not sure how many sat that one), it feels unlike other written exams which pass/fail can greatly depends on how others did it, for CA2, if you reach 65/70, it should be a pass:)