ST7 or ST8??

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Actu09, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Actu09

Actu09 Keen member

Hi everyone!! I was just wondering, whether would it be more sensible, to take first the ST7 or the ST8 exam...I am working mainly in the non life domain, and especially in the Reserving area, but i would like some guidance about which of the two would be more logical to attempt first...All these bearing in mind, that I am planning to take the CT8 exam together as well....

2. tiger

tiger Member

There is quite a bit of overlap between ST7 & 8, the first 7-10 chapters (from memory) are the same.
    I would say it makes more sense to do ST7 first, if you're working in reserving.
    I did ST8 first, and I would consider ST8 (slightly) easier than ST7, but then I work in pricing.
    Also CT8 is probably the hardest CT, is it wise to tackle this as well?

3. manish.rex

manish.rex Member

For those working in GI pricing or underwriting, ST 8 is naturally easier. I work in retail bank lending on credit risk, modelling and underwriting, but I find topics in ST 8 quite relevant. It depends on your work area.

STs are different from CTs in that they require depth of thought process and more commercial application of points you can think. Hence if you work in reserving , probably 7 may come familiar to you.