1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking international opportunity - Based in India

Discussion in 'Careers' started by kv911, Aug 25, 2014.

1. kv911

kv911 Member

Hi,

I am currently working as a product manager in a private life insurance compay for 6 years now in Indian markets. Additionally i have been giving actuarial exams and have cleared around 4 (CT1/3/9/6) as of now.

My dilemma lies in the fact that if i intend to move to an actuarial role, i have been asked to start at the bottom most level i.e. as an associate. And given the salary standards to an entry level position, that would undermine my current salary (Entry level salary is ~50% of my current salary)

I just wanted to know that if any international recruiter's are open for taking actuarial freshers with (non actuarial) life insurance experience. Additonally, what all countries are more open for the same

Regards

2. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

Direct international hiring is mostly restricted to associate actuary level + or through inter company transfer. Otherwise, the chances are close to 0.

3. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

The job market is quite competative in the UK and in Europe. There are lots of candidates for each job opportunity and employers are very keen to match your exact experience to the role. In the UK, if you don't have UK specific experience you are not competative for most of the roles. Sometimes, companies are seeking candidates with international experience but that would be rather European rather than Asian, I believe.
    I've had a challenge breaking into the UK acturial job market with European experience.
    I think employers in the UK will always have preference for UK candidates, and there are plenty of them to choose from.

4. kv911

kv911 Member

Thanks dude, but which country are you referring to here ? or is it general comment about international hiring practices

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  5. kv911

kv911 Member

Thanks dude, so if i am reading correctly between the lines - it will be advisable for me to give the remaining exams in UK and simultaneously look for a job. Am i correct ?

6. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

It is hard to say, sometimes a bit of luck is needed.

Option 1 - qualify in India and come as a fully qualified FIA to the UK. It is easier to get a job being fully qualified rather than part qualified. Although they will be still asking you for UK experience. Also qualifying as an FIA outside of the UK is extremely difficult due to lack of employer's support. In the UK you get a lot of study days and all fees are paid.

Option 2 - come to the UK now with a few exams and try getting a role as an actuarial student. You will be fully supported here with a so called study package and you will qualify quicker and have it easier to get a job as an FIA a few years down the line.
    I would choose option 2.

7. kv911

kv911 Member

Thanks a lot dude....i might be pushing you too much but any idea about any other job markets like singapore, australia ?

8. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

From what I know the Australian job market is quite strict on the Austrialan experience.

I am curious myself about HK or Singapore....I think for these markets knowing Asian languages helps a lot to tick the right boxes.

9. kv911

kv911 Member

Thanks a lot dude..:)