1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Pentition against web pass lists by the inst/fact.

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by hi5, Jan 3, 2007.

1. hi5

hi5 Member

Dear Friends,

When we fail exams our moment of sadness is made worse by all our colleagues knowing the fact that we failed (due to the absence of our names from the online pass lists).

Its about time that the inst/fact stopped doing this as it is a great, constant, and persistent source of embarrassment for all of us.

Lets all unite for this purpose.

For all those in favour of this, please post a "Yes" below.
    (if possible then also add your initials)

Regards,

(in due time I shall convert this into a letter and sent to the relevant ppl at the inst/fact)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2007
  2. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

3. SummerBub

SummerBub Member

No too.

Actually, is it that embarrassing to fail exams? If candidates numbers get published instead, my colleagues will still ask and there is no way I could lie.

I think it is good to take things in stride and learn to accept failure. Just think about how nice it is when everyone finally get to see your name on the list.:p

4. Erik

Erik Member

No too.

I think it's more embarrassing to actually say whether you passed or failed to someones face. Those who knew you wrote, will know if you failed and most likely say nothing. If you passed they will know too and congratulate you on it.

Stop feeling embarrassed by failing an actuarial exam. I don't know many who passed everything the first time so there's nothing to be ashamed of!

5. King

King Member

No. In any case, who you kidding – you think your colleagues wouldn’t find out anyway?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2007
  6. Fiasco

Fiasco Member

No.

It's much better to see your name rather just a number on the pass list. Also, it's bad to fail but far worse to be unable to face failure.

7. hi5

hi5 Member

Yes.

At least the student should have a choice whether he/she wants the name on the list or not.

That is the minimum, imho.

8. King

King Member

You do have a choice, don't register for the exam.

9. Fiasco

Fiasco Member

Another option is to do the Australian actuarial exams - they have the pass list in candiidate numbers to conform with those silly privacy laws.

To have the choice of whether your name is to be published on the pass list is an administrative nightmare that the Institute can do without.

10. bystander

bystander Member

The Institute have looked at this many times and I think the CII type idea of you having access to just your own result by keying in a number (maybe your ARN) is still floating around.

But at the end of the day so long as people/students don't contact me with the result before I see it, I don't have an issue.

11. Erik

Erik Member

Hi5, are you allowed to sign your own petition???

At least you've got one supporter ... yourself!

12. No.

The online publishing means you can be sure that you'll get your results at the same time as everyone else. It would be dreadful if you had to leave for work the next day before the post arrived so that some people knew their results and others didn't.

The fact that everyone can look up the results means that you don't have to go through the repetative conversations telling colleagues. Most people are sensible enough not to rub it in if your name isn't on the list, and so many student fail at least one exam that there's no real taboo about failure.

13. hi5

hi5 Member

Interesting answers and i appreciate the diversity of input we are getting here.........although i would have been more happier if even 1 person had said YES. anyway...........

Suppose the inst/fact publishes only numbers.

Then I will know my result and you will know your result. Simple it that.

But as chances are both me and you would have failed some papers in the attempt.

So I would fear to ask you your result as it would give you an automatic implied right to ask my result.

And the same would be the case with you.

In the end, not many people with ask results from ppl. Especially those who they dont know very very well.

does anyone think i am making sense.............

by all means i am for publishing web results, but only ARN numbers.

If anyone wants his/her name to be published with the ARN no, the so be it.

Now what do you ppl say?

14. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

I like to know how all my work colleagues have done. It's exciting looking to see who's passed or failed.

Also it gives me a good idea about what I should expect when I go to work the next day. And I know not to be over-ecstatic in the office if other people haven't done so well (and vica-versa if the situation reversed).

Perhaps you should ask yourself why is it you are so bothered by other people knowing?

15. AndyN

AndyN Member

In my experience, people tend to rally round those who've failed and help pick them up on results day - they all know what's it's like and how you feel and that drinks with friends are just what's needed to cheer you up!

16. hi5

hi5 Member

just because that when i fail, i need time to myself to absorb it, to reflect, to ponder, to think over the result.

and at that stage i do not like the sympathies of ppl.

a good point,

but lets settle for a choice by the candidate,

if a candidate wants the result online with name.....ok
    if a candidate wants the result online with ARN no. then ........ok as well

what do you say

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
  17. Gareth

Gareth Member

i think that's a sensible suggestion, i personally dislike everyone seeing my results - e.g. the bombardment of recruitment pimps calling me after i pass... some can even tell me my entire exam history "from their database"!!!

18. What about if the exam pass lists were onlnie, but in the members ony section. This would reduce the public glare a little and maybe get some of those recruiters out of the way. You don't feel so "specially selected" when the guy sitting next to you got the same phonecall half an hour earlier!

19. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I love looking up the students I've taught to see how they've got on - congratulate them via email (as I won't see them in my office!) and offer support for those who didn't make it. ARNs would make this impossible. But I guess if people out there don't want tutors to talk to them they could have an option for this as well!!!

20. 4EverStudent

4EverStudent Member

Does anyone remember the good old days when you could tell whether you had passed or not by the thickness of the results envelope that fell through your door?! (If you failed you got a copy of the exam paper and solutions as well as your results slip.)