Mind reading

Discussion in 'CA1' started by misterh, Aug 17, 2014.

1. misterh

misterh Member

Every so often i read an answer that really leaves me scratching my head:confused: .....and angry:mad:
    Subjectivity
    I understand covering "issues" in your answer but some of the format of how the answers are done is soo subjective. Sometimes there may be many different ways of considering an "issue". Is there much flexibility for this? If we cover the same issue but from completely different angle do we get the marks?
    Relevance
    And the best for last...I remember posting this "beauty" from ST4 I think. Some solutions have a big chunk of the answer dedicted to: this is what is asked in the question - the question doesn't ask something else because something else would not make sense ??!!
    I see this as the equivalent to someone asking me how old I am and me answering them I will not tell you I am a human because you did not ask me this.

2. Anna Walklate

Anna Walklate ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi misterh,

I think I can safely say that we've all been here!

Some of the questions may seem subjective, and indeed, the marking schedules / examiners' reports that you might see will approach the answer in a certain way (that you had probably not thought of!).

It would be impossible to come up with marking schedules that approach every issue from every angle, however, the markers are generally given freedom to award marks for the IDEA, even if the exact point being made is slightly different. For example, credit might be given for ANY SENSIBLE consideration of reinsurance, even if your reinsurance point is different to the reinsurance point on the schedule.

How much freedom markers are given will depend on the specific question. Big picture questions are likely to be given the most freedom.

After the exam, the markers attend a meeting and the marking schedules are updated based on feedback from the markers, and usually also tutors. Points are often added to the marking schedules so that they become pretty comprehensive. It's fairly unlikely that you will come up with many valid, relevant points that the examiner, the markers and the tutors haven't!

The key thing is to get your points across clearly and concisely. If your ideas are relevant and similar enough to points on the marking schedule, then they should score.

I hope this helps / reassures you!

Anna :)