Practical questions on international career change

Discussion in 'Careers' started by Günther, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Günther

Günther Member

I'm a German math and physics teacher thinking about a career and location change to London actuarial work. Some practical questions on that:

1) The way I understand it, I'd need some exams passed for potential employers to take that idea seriously. Question: How do you think potential employers would react to those actually being exemptions for equivalent American SOA exams? Unlike IFA exams, those can be sat on Saturdays somewhere near me and just taking some random day of the weak off isn't really an option for a techer. On the other hand, studying for SOA exams would be basically pointless if London hiring managers didn't value them. (The point would always be transferring to the British system later on).

2) Do you think it would help my chances to pile on some IT certifications e.g. for Excel? I don't think very highly of those myself, because they seem both easy and expensive. That makes them "smell" like payed-for pseudo-credentials. But then for all a potential employer would know, I might never have used a computer.

2. antzlck

antzlck Member

I dont think it would matter if whether you've passed some early SOA/CAS exams ot IFA ones, have a look at the institutes website too see where exemptions apply. I know Financial Mathematics will provide exemptìon from CT1.

3. Calum

Calum Member

I would suggest that you are the kind of person the Actuarial Science masters degrees are aimed at - already qualified career changers who want to demonstrate commitment to a career change. Have a look at the courses offered by Heriot Watt, Kent, Cass (and others).

4. Günther

Günther Member

Thanks Calum, that would be good advice based on what you know. But I can't afford that and I spent too much time at university already.

5. Calum

Calum Member

Passing 3-4 exams (or indeed all 8 CTs) independently is not cheap either, once you add it all up.

I'd encourage you not to reject the university route without examining it carefully, as there are a lot of funding streams available. That said, I quite sympathise with the feeling of having spent too much time there...!

6. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

I would strongly advice against these computer certifications. Employers usually take your computer skills as is mentioned in the resume and usually give zero importance to expensive certifications. You would be better off learning a programming language individually and doing a work or two to showcase if asked.