1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

CA1 directly after CT2 and CT7

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by bharasri.ibm, Jul 16, 2014.

1. bharasri.ibm

bharasri.ibm Member

Hi,

I want to get an overall picture of what exactly is covered in all the CTs and also want to study for a more "wordy" exam. I want to know what are the chances of clearing CA1 after clearing just CT2 and CT7. Also, I do not work in the actuarial field. Please throw in your thoughts. Thanks!

2. Pede

Pede Member

The contents of all the courses are given in the Study Guides, freely available on the ActEd website.

Chances of getting CA1 having only done a couple of CTs and not working in the actuarial field? Honestly? Very slim indeed IMHO.

3. ZimboActuary

ZimboActuary Member

The probability of passing CA1 in such a case is Zero.

Many people who have passed all 9 cts on the first attempt, have gone on to fail CA1.

4. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

This is madness! This is actuariaaaaaa(l)! :D

5. RenActuary

RenActuary Member

Hi,
    I will be exempted from CT1, CT3, CT4 and CT7. I would like to enquire about the prospects for clearing CT2 and CA1 or CT2 and CT9 this September?

Also, can anyone tell me when can you give the online professional awareness test since I would need to do it if I want to do CT9?
    :confused:

6. morrisja

morrisja Member

CA1 requires a sitting to itself I believe. Better to focus on it and give yourself a good chance. If you haven't already started CA1 I'd suggest sitting 1/2 CTs in September and then sitting CA1 in April 2015 (the longer April sitting will be a blessing for the volume of notes in CA1).

CT9 is not a September/April exam and it doesn't require particularly great effort, so sit that whenever you want. It's recommended that you have been working for 12-18 months when you sit CT9 AFAIK.

7. morrisja

morrisja Member

I'd say chances aren't that different from any other person on their first attempt. It depends on your ability and the work you put in. Neither the CTs nor working as an actuary are the key to passing CA1. You pass CA1 with good exam technique and knowledge of the course, with the emphasis on exam technique in my opinion.

The second sentence suggests that passing the CTs is not totally correlated with passing CA1, and I'd agree. I think this at least partially invalidates your first sentence, and I wouldn't say that working in the actuarial field greatly increases your chances of passing CA1.

8. antzlck

antzlck Member

I did the OPAT today having joined the profession 2 weeks ago as I'm looking to take CT9 as soon as poss. Although I've just joined the profession I have been working in my job for 18months+. It's very easy to register and they process your application very quickly. You will be emailed an access code and link to take the test which must be used within 90 days.

9. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Whilst CT2 is the closest CT subject to CA1 there have been questions which require CT1 knowledge of PVs and a tiny bit of CT3 knowledge (for EPVs) on the days that I teach.