Second attempt

Discussion in 'CA1' started by Edwin, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

It's my first time writing a subject twice and I'm clueless where to start, except focus on your weak areas and repeat everything with a focus on getting better.

Any tips?

2. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

I found this more difficult than studying for the first attempt in ST6 - primarily because of the tendency to be complacent in areas that you think you are familiar with. What I did was dropped the "question paper" styled preparation and instead focused on the objectives to see where the gap existed.

3. tiger

tiger Member

I would say it depends on how close you were to a pass, and how much of an effort you felt you put in the first time round.

I found a different approach is needed for CA1 and the other 'essay' style exams. It's easy to passively read the material. Generating ideas and fleshing out answers takes practice.

Did you attend tutorials or have mock/X series marking by acted?
    When self-marking an essay style question it's easy to be generous.

I think Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

4. ryan11

ryan11 Member

Its going to be my 2nd attempt too for CA1, and I am also struggling to get a handel on where to start now.

what complicates things are last time I thought I was fully prepared, I felt confident ( although I had not found time to go through the past papers at all), so in terms of syllabus I thought I can regurgiate all that is there (atleast in the flashcards). The same confidence continued after writing the exam as I didnt struggle with most of the question in both the papers ( the Indian CA1 exams) and I thought I have written well, the results came out 2 days back for me and I was surprised to have failed with an FC, totally unbelivable.

so I dont have a clue where I went wrong in terms of Core reading, except that I will practice the past papers this time around.

5. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

Doing past papers are CRUCIAL for the later exams as it'll give you a feel for what the examiner's are looking for. Going into a later exam without doing past papers is examination suicide...!

6. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

... but wouldn't it be an actuarially fair suicide?

7. ryan11

ryan11 Member

I know how true it is, last time I was left with no option but to choose to either revise what I have learned so painfully or go through some past papers with the little time I was left with.
    This time I ma not leaving the past papers for the last moment.

8. bystander

bystander Member

If this is yur first failure I suspect its a lack of application skills. You are not likely to pass unless you prove you can make points relevant to the individual scenario posed. So don't tink ah this qn is asking for points from unit X part Y. Why is that so? Are other points relevant.

There isn't a unique answer but putting things down reperitively won't help either.

If you haven't had marking, get some.

Maybe attempt a mock NOW - that will highlight where you are at in knowledge and technique.

9. Edwin

Edwin Member

Clearly second attempt studying feels better than first....wheeew. Hoping for a pass!!

Tjo, it even feels nicer.....

10. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

+1

We tend to see loads of things we skipped when studying for first attempt.

11. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

Edwin read ur post..am giving Ca1 again as well..how are you approaching it this time?

12. Edwin

Edwin Member

I'm sticking to the usual this time,

1) know 100% of my notes,

2) know 100% of past papers, CA1 and 300 Series...I have ASET also

3) Do the Mock

4) DO q&a and x-assignments

and have refined examination technique from Exam condition practise.