Useful Masters degree

Discussion in 'Careers' started by aditya, Jan 28, 2014.

1. aditya

aditya Member

Hi

I need some advice on taking up a relevant masters course.
    I am an under graduate in economics with a year of actuarial experience in GI. I have cleared the CT level papers.
    .I am not much interested in taking up a masters in actuarial as most of them deal with the CTs and hence I am quite doubtful about its value add.
    Any suggestions on which courses would be relevant and also beneficial?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
  2. Shillington

Shillington Member

Why do you need to do a masters at all? If you're not doing it for exemptions, surely you should just do it in something that you're interested in. If not, I don't see why you don't just go and get a job?

3. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

As I see it..for an actuary, the only types of degrees that can add value are

• any MBA at the top schools Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, INSEAD or London Business School. These can provide entry to inv. banks, investment firms/funds or a generalist role in an insurance company
    • any other Financial Engineering/Maths Masters at a "top 10 in the world" University
    • or a PhD ( if you are masochist)

However I think you should stick it out and qualify and then consider your options.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  4. aditya

aditya Member

That sounds really good.But I don't think I can get into any of them with only a year of experience.

Hopefully I'm not!!

Exactly!!:D I have been bombarded by advices from people that having a masters is "recommended" and it somewhat threw me off track.

5. manish.rex

manish.rex Member

A course in Financial Engineering may add value, provided that you are interested in investments.

6. Calum

Calum Member

It depends a lot where you are in the world, what career path you are pursuing and what the local market expects of candidates for particular roles. So consider these things carefully first!

In the UK, there are MSc courses, usually called something like "Actuarial Management" - Cass and Heriot Watt do them and I think Kent does as well - which cover much of the post-CT material which you *may* find interesting. If you want to pursue the GI route I would check carefully how applicable the teaching material will be, given that the historical thrust of academia is in life contingencies.

It may be worth talking to your employer about what they would see as useful as well. A well-chosen MBA - not necessarily from the traditional top tier - might well be valuable to you personally.

And as others have said I don't see much of a disadvantage to sitcking with the exams and qualifying before tackling anything else.

7. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

8. aditya

aditya Member

Did hear about that.But I would prefer GI and modelling...:)

9. aditya

aditya Member

10. aditya

aditya Member

Very true.I did contact some students and I doubt if it is suitable for GI.