Study Strategy

Discussion in 'SA2' started by moreoomph, Oct 18, 2013.

1. moreoomph

moreoomph Member

Hi

I plan to sit this exam in April. I am doing a block tutorial for it.

Can anyone suggest any study techniques. I usually work through the course, complete the questions in the revision books, sometimes do assignments and learn the course using flashcards. This obviously needs changed a lot for SA2 - no flashcards or revision books. Anybody have a good method for approaching this course?

Thanks!

2. Iori_

Iori_ Member

3. moreoomph

moreoomph Member

This is a great link for exam technique (which I will definitely be using) but any thoughts on the actual studying of the subject?

i.e. better to concentrate on core reading, better to read outside of the subject, etc...

4. Iori_

Iori_ Member

There are many topics covered in SA2. However, if you have a fundamental understanding of the two concepts, then many other topics will fall into place. These are:

- Valuation

- Pricing

Valuation relates, for example, to:

- GPV, NPV reserving including principles of setting reserves

- Solvency requirement: both solvency I and II

- Financial reporting basis valuation and statutory valuation (Modified Statutory Basis)

- AoS

- etc...

Pricing relates, for example, to:

- Embedded value including AoEV and VNB

- Cash flows (income items less expense items)

- Cost of capital

Note that CT5 techniques are required for both.

If you are working in a Life company, best is if you get hold of Excel spreadsheets used to calculate reserves, embedded value, solvency capital, etc. If you can picture the above concepts in Excel spreadsheets it will help greatly.

You need to have a really good fundamental understanding of these two concepts if you want to pass.

In many Life related job specs, you will also note that many of the positions are valuation/capital management or pricing/product development. That is because these two are major areas in the Life industry.

If I were you I would try and get hold of the following and learn them in detail:

- Year-end valuation report signed-off by a statutory actuary with information relating to assets, actuarial liabilities, assumptions, risk management, product description, solvency capital requirement, reliances and limitations, embedded value, AoEV, revenue account (income statement), etc... (such report is not the same as the published financial report)

- Product profit testing or product sign-off report/letter with VNB, profit margin, sensitivity testing, etc.

- FSA return forms already filled in

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2013
  5. moreoomph

moreoomph Member

Hi

Thanks very much for this - it looks good. Thankfully I do all of this at work - I just need to pay a bit more attention in the coming months! :rolleyes:

6. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

Hi,

Can I please ask what is assumed knowledge or required from ST2 for SA2.I am trying to study both together at the same time.I have a fair amount of experience in life insurance.It would really help if I knew which portions of the ST2 syllabus I need to go through for SA2.

Thanks!

7. Mike Lewry

Mike Lewry Member

Hi Vikky,

The short answer is that all of ST2 is assumed knowledge for SA2, although I'd exclude the revalorisation and contribution surplus distribution methods from this. I've just scanned down the list of ST2 chapters and there's not really anything else that's not relevant for SA2.

Please have a look at the FAQs in the SA2 Study Guide as there's some advice there about studying ST2 and SA2 together.