Block or regular

Discussion in 'CA1' started by Carolyn, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Member

For CA1 is it best to have block or regular tutorials?

I usually have blocks.....but for this subject I'm not so sure!!

2. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

I had regular and found them useful in developing good exam technique early on - which I applied to my assignments which also helped.

Haven't ever done a block so can't really say which is best.

A lot of people on the Regular had trouble properly redaing the notes before the lectures.

3. I personally prefer blocks nearer the exam. I've not done a regular tutorial but I find with doing a block nearer the exam, I've usually gone through the notes a couple of times and feel that I am getting more out of the tutorial.

Guess it depends if you feel you can be disciplined enough to have covered the notes by the tutorial date if you're doing a regular...

4. bystander

bystander Member

Generally I'd say it's horses for courses and there isn't a right and wrong way.

But, assuming it's a first attempt, with CA1 I'd say go regular. It's just such a large course that even the most disciplined person can fall behind. Regulars just ensure you stay with the pace and have the all important time to revise/consolidate/practice!!!

But if you're resitting then go block. You've made it through the course once (dare I say at least?) so the foundations are there and you need qn practise rather than coaching on distinct areas. If you're really stuck on one part, there is the private tuition option but I don't know anyone who uses it. I'd say use the time to firm up on your weaknesses yourself then get the practise in at the block.

If you win the lottery and are really keen why not add some of your own hard earned cash and do both? No guarantees but hopefullly would increase your chances of passing. If you do this though, contact ActEd to ensure there is no duplication of qns!

Best of luck with the 'marathon'

5. Carolyn

Carolyn Member

Thank you everyone for all your advice on CA1 ....I ran a marathon last year, and compared to having to study CA1, that seems a breeze now!

6. Dha

Dha Member

I decided to go for a block tutorial, only to find out last week that all the ones I wanted are booked out already! I thought I was being efficient booking a place so early!

7. bystander

bystander Member

I'm surprised! Which location/date was your first choice?

Anybody else got a 'booked up' message back yet for non-finalised courses?

8. Darrell Chainey

Darrell Chainey ActEd Tutor Staff Member

All of the London CA1 tutorials are very busy this session. Demand has far exceeded our expectations. However, we are in the process of adding three more London Regulars, and will probably add another one next week when we finalise the majority of the Regular Tutorials.

The blocks are also very full and we will try our best to add some more Block courses too. We may need to wait until we finalise in January to see which other courses will be cancelled to make room for some new blocks. But please don't be put off applying. It's very unusual for students who apply before the finalisation date not to be offered a place. We've got two more tutors teaching CA1 this session and so we should be able to fit you all in.

The Dublin CA1 courses are also very busy and so I expect we'll be adding a late-starting Regular or early-starting block to the timetable next week.

There are still places on most other courses running outside of London - if you're not based in the City.