CA1 September 2013

Discussion in 'CA1' started by Edwin, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

What do people think of the exam, I personally felt it was the worst exam in my life. I battled heavilly with both papers.

Had no clue what part of the core-reading they reffered to when they asked us how to evaluate profitability in the question on circuses. So I just put down a bunch of common sense, but I have a feeling they wanted us to apply the core-reading.

Also paper one seemed to bisaed towards projects and Investments, with no question on either of Life Insurance, General Insurance or Pensions. I struggled to deduce what the examiners wanted for most questions in paper2.

I will write again September 2014, need to take a break.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
  2. Calum

Calum Member

Glad it's not just me. One of the things I've noticed is that when you are purely generating answers with technique and not writing down large chunks of core reading, you are likely to be well off-piste.

So I suspect I shall be having another crack at this and like you, I feel a break is in order.

3. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

Yeah I thought paper 2 was a nightmare!!The circus question totally threw me off guard as well as the question on managing longevity risk ..35+ probably 17 marks which would almost count for nothing... :( :(
    In total(across both papers) we had close to 50-55 marks from project management!!!!!
    Does anyone have any clue what is the cut off for CA1?

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

Does anyone know what the question that said we should speak about features of an insurance company that are implicated in a Solvency assessment (don't remember the exact wording) was aiming at?

5. ***Amy

***Amy Member

Do you not mean the "how to measure the success of the project" question? Pretty different :)
    I thought that whole question was "how many ways can you kill an animal" :D

No idea how to feel about it all!

6. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

does ne 1 have a clue as to what is the cut off for Ca1?

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

Ja...that one, it actually said how to measure the success of the project. If they wanted common sense, then it wasn't bad...if they wanted us to apply some part of the CR then i couldn't figure out which part it was.

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

Failed an exam for the first time in my life....and it's this one. Painful, FA!

9. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

I'm sorry to hear Edwin. You'll crack it next time for sure.

10. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

Commiserations Edwin - it might be difficult to appreciate (CA1 was the first exam I ever failed too despite the volume & effort I'd put in!) now but it is a critical part of character building, which WILL make you better for having experienced.

From experience, the later written exams is all about exam technique & recognising what/when core reading needs to be written down irrespective of how obscure the scenarios given in the question are.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  11. maz1987

maz1987 Member

Hope you get it next time, amigo!

Where do you think you went wrong?

12. RaViShankar

RaViShankar Member

Sorry man.

13. Edwin

Edwin Member

Doing it in four months....should have done ST2. Hahahaha.....no regrets tho.