Explaining one point many times, in different ways

Discussion in 'CA1' started by Edwin, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

We are encouraged to go for breath when answering as opossed to depth, however the ER often takes one point and just expands on it in separate lines. If you bring the lines into one paragraph, it becomes the depth that they always encourage us to avoid.

For example Sep 2010 qustn 6 (iv)_pp2 the examiners report mentions that the audience should be able to understand, then they go on to say;-

• documentation should be clear, simple and concise and easy to follow
    • terminology should be explained
    all as different points.

I was gonna think I'm waffling if I rewrote a point using diff words. Does this count as three different points?

2. Anna Walklate

Anna Walklate ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Even though breadth is important in Subject CA1, you still need to write enough detail to adequately justify and illustrate your points.

Sometimes the instruction word is useful to determine the level of detail (for example, "explain" suggests more detail is required than "describe"), however there are no hard and fast rules.

The best way to work out the level of detail needed is to practise as many questions as possible. Unfortunately it's hard to know exactly what level of detail is needed for each question, but by practising, you can get a reasonable idea.

Also, don't forget that the marking schedules contain more than 100 marks, so it may be possible to score full marks without going into exactly the same level of detail as the examiners on all points.