Multiple choice CTs

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Oldstu, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Oldstu

Oldstu Member

Hi, I heard today that the institute is considering a new education strategy of turning the CTs to multiple choices questions(assessed on line). I can't see anything on the web confirming this. Is it true? Has anyone heard the same?

2. bobbathejobba

bobbathejobba Member

There's been talk about this for years - but nothing formal has been agreed as far as I'm aware. I think the Profession has enough sense to realise that doing so would remove the ability of students to think through longer problems - which is an essential skill for our jobs.

3. tiger

tiger Member

4. bapan

bapan Ton up Member

Hi

I think what you might have heard relates to new qualification category that is currently being planned by IFA.

Check this link.

This has 6 modules: 0 to 5.
    • Module 0 is a entry qualification exam.
    • Modules 1-4 would cover: Finance and Financial Mathematics, Statistics and Models, Long Term Insurance Mathematics, and Short Term Insurance Mathematics.
    • Modules 0-4 would be assessed by Computer Based Testing
    • Module 5 (Models and Audit Trails) would be a practical exam, delivered online
    I have heard there is significant overlap with some of the CT level syllabus. Module 5 is a version of CA2.

I have not heard any plans for changing the pattern for the existing actuarial qualification.