Increasing Annuities

Discussion in 'CT1' started by moreoomph, May 23, 2013.

1. moreoomph

moreoomph Member

Hi

I am currently trying to work out the most accurate simplification of the present value of the following cashflows:
    - Annual increases of 4% happening half way through the first year and annually after that
    - Monthly discounting of 0.5%

Can anyone offer any advice?
    - I have tried allowing for the discounting and escalation of these annually (doesn't allow for the escalations starting at 6 months) but the answer is not very accurate (particularly for long durations)
    - I have allowed for discounting and escalation monthly (again doesnt allow for the escalations starting at 6 months)
    - I have tried to have an adjusted i(12) which allows for annual escalation but monthly discounting (didnt really work and no allowance for 6months!)

Can anyone think of a way to approach this using an annuity function rather than using a cashflow approach?

Thanks in advance!

2. Calum

Calum Member

You're on the right lines with the i(12) approach. The only thing you have to do is work out the value of the annuity from the six month point, discount that back six months, and add on the annuity for the first six months, something along the lines of

\[
    \require{enclose}
    a^{(12)}_{\enclose{actuarial}{0.5}}+v^{-\frac{1}{2}} \times (Ia)^{(12)}_{\enclose{actuarial}{n-0.5}}
    \]

And please do bear in mind I've forgotten most of the financial maths I ever knew! In particular, I'm not sure if the fractional parts work correctly, but the general approach is what I'm getting at.

3. asmkdas

asmkdas Member

Would you please guide me how did you use those actuarial notations here?

4. bapan

bapan Ton up Member

5. moreoomph

moreoomph Member

Thanks Calum

Do you know if you can take account of the annual increases but monthly discounting?

6. Calum

Calum Member

I *think* \((Ia)^{(12)}\) already is increasing annually but paid monthly - have a check and see. If not, I think you'll have to add up a series of annual annuities allowing for the increase and discounting.

7. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Yup that's right. Not in the UK course (but is in the US).

8. fnamugera

fnamugera Member

Ct1

hi, i registered for CT1 for September 2013 and i just need some one to discuss with on line

9. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Probably best to start a new thread with this.