QA Bank: Q2.1(vi)

Discussion in 'CT3' started by Amit_Bansal, May 15, 2013.

1. Amit_Bansal

Amit_Bansal Member

Why its answer isn't C ?
    since X and Y are Random Variables, therefore they can't be constants and statement is true only for constants.

2. suraj

suraj Member

C means Var (XY) is never equal to Var(X)Var(Y)
    which is a wrong statement because there may be some X and Y for which this equality holds.

3. Amit_Bansal

Amit_Bansal Member

Then which reason should be stated in exam alongwith answer - this one or the one which is provided in book .

4. suraj

suraj Member

Whichever u like. But TBH, the reason given in the book doesn't seem right to me as well. Because if X and Y are RV then they can't be constants.

Also in part(viii) they've chosen option C, because X can't be constant according to them. So these two reasons are contradicting.

5. bapan

bapan Ton up Member

A random variable which takes only one value is referred to as a constant random variable or degenerate random variable. You can read this wiki article.

So, the reasoning for part vi is okay.

In part viii, we are trying to prove Var(-X) = -Var(X). Note variance of any RV is always non-negative. So this relation can never be true unless the RV is itself a constant. So, I agree that the solution can be better structured

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  6. Amit_Bansal

Amit_Bansal Member

1. i got for the vi ques.
    2. & then answer to viii ques should be D (if we keep both answer's reasoning same) that 'its only true in exceptional circumstances eg if X is constant RV.

7. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Thanks guys for pointing this out. We do seem to be contradicting ourselves a bit - I'll change the answer to viii to D for next year's notes.