What to do next?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by agtaylor, Oct 8, 2012.

1. agtaylor

agtaylor Member

Hi,

After a bit of advice from people who have recently sat CTs together re Combinations. I have just sat CT1 and CT2 and looking at what to take next. (based on 2 exams that compliment each other)

I was thinking of taking CT3 and CT6 together but I might overdose on stats. I have been told that CT4 and CT5 go quite well together, would they be a good couple to do next? I think I want to save CT7 to go with CT8 so it does seem to limit me. Should I do, say CT3 with CT4?

Thanks,

Alex

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
  2. limamichelle

limamichelle Active Member

I think CT4&5 is quite a hard combination compared to CT1 and 2 (which would be the easiest of all the CT's) jumping for one of the harder combination immediately might not be what you want.

i suggest more of a CT3, CT7 or CT3 and CT6 (no harm in od'in on stats- just make sure you start CT3 early enough!)

CT4 and 5 has a lot of "new" notation ive herd, so maybe look through the core reading quickly?

3. mmmmmm

mmmmmm Member

If you have a good maths/stats background CT3 should be fairly straightfoward, and CT6 while more challenging is related so I think they would be nice to study together as there is some synergy.

Similarly there is synergy with CT4 and CT5 so these are good to take together, though agree that there is definitely a lot of new notation to learn and I personally found it a lot more challenging to get my head around than 6.

Also depends what area you work in. 4 and 5 seem to have more life/pension applications while CT6 includes run off triangles which would be more familiar for those working in GI.

4. Calum

Calum Member

To make progress, you really need to include CT3 in this sitting, as there's only one exam left that doesn't rely heavily on it.

If you have not done probability and stats before, I would do CT3 and 7, because basic probability & stats is something worth taking the time to get to know well. If you already have an intuitive grasp, then CT3/4 or 3/6 would be OK combinations. 4/5 together would be a fair bit of work and not much variety.

CT7 and 8 don't really have much overlap (I did them both last week) and I don't think there's much benefit to doing them together.

5. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

CT6 does require you to be very up to speed on CT3 (as exemptees can testify ;) ) - so you'd either have to work through CT3 much faster before starting CT6 or do CT6 in the session immediately after.