Does the difficulty of EXAMS vary?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Edwin, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

What can you say when you rate the exams you have written so far, can you say some where harder than others?...in particular the ACTUAL exams you wrote.

And what can you say when you compare the CT8 exam you wrote with the CT5?

The reason why I'm asking this is because I remember getting a headache throughout the CT8 paper I wrote and especially when I got to the DIGITAL option. I kinda don't want to get the same feeling when I write CT5, I've sat most past papers, failed miserably at most.

If I learn hard enough can I be guaranteed of a softer three hours?

[Please note my question is more about relative toughness, not just toughness]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
  2. manish.rex

manish.rex Member

Depends on what your apptitude exactly is regarding the topics... for some maths is fun so CT 8 is enjoyable, for others calculations are easy to go through, hence CT 5. CT 5 is more a mixture of stats and accounting and CT1. The core ideas are , however, simpler compared to those in CT5.

I cleared CT8 in one attempt, and had not practised any mock papers before the actual exam. CT 5 took some time, as it was a rather tardy course for me (heavy calculations are not my strength).

So it all depends what you enjoy doing... :)

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

All in all I enjoy CT5 and I hope the 3 hours on October 2 feel a bit better. But I can only work harder!:(

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
  4. bystander

bystander Member

First everybody experiences difficult subjects but also difficult individual qns so its hard to generalise.

If you find a subject easy because you are mathematically minded and you get pure number qns, its not a gtee of success. You can still have an odd day where you get number blindness or uoir calculator fingers make slips and you don't pass.

I think the best candidates are those who have the ability to survive 'curve balls' ie deal well with unusual qns, This coudl be in the fine detail of a numerical qn or needing you to comment or speculate on other scenarios. These peopel tend to be those that have a better knowledge than just memory skills. They understand and can apply.

It really is the differentiator on later subjects.

On the number ones, its down to your accuracy and speed but yes some bits of courses and hence qns will be more challenging than others. Those that have a cool fead on the day also typically do better

5. RaViShankar

RaViShankar Member

Your post is really helpful to some of us bystander, but what do you mean by:-
    and

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

Ravishankar, I think he was typing fast, it's those with a cool head!

7. Cubix_Rube

Cubix_Rube Member

Number blindness is a mathematical brain fart. For example you need to work out 12% pa convertible monthly and you spend 2 minutes looking at the exam paper with your brain completely empty.

Then you cry internally because when you get home and go to sleep the people in your dreams are going to poke you with an abacus and tut.

8. RaViShankar

RaViShankar Member

Thanks Cubix, is it possible to be extremely prepared and still have that disease? And also the people at home in my dreams, can I poke them back and why will they poke me? Thanks for the help I like for being helpied!

9. Cubix_Rube

Cubix_Rube Member

The thing about dream poking wont really happen, I was just likening the number blindness to a feeling of inadequacy within a fictional scenario. The subtlely was probably lost in translation which is my fault.

It's not a disease, just a strange way of coping poorly with pressure. Someone might be bad at exams, panic, then the brains turns itself off to Maths temporarily. If you don't know how this feels then you don't need to worry because it wont affect you.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012