CT1 and CT5

Discussion in 'CT5' started by kartik_newpro, May 24, 2012.

1. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

Hi!

Having appeared CT3 and CT2, I want to appear for 2 more papers coming november (indian exams). I was thinking of CT1 and 7, since those seem to be the easier ones considering the rest of the CTs.

But CT7 is not considered very valuable when comes to getting a job and I need a job soon. I thought of going for CT1 and 5 together.

Firstly, is it a good decision? I must say that the work of CT1 wont be totally new for me, since I am a finance graduate and I studied some earlier chapters of CT1 before moving to CT3 last year. Can I study 1 and 5 simultaneously? Or would it be better to complete CT1 first and then move to CT5?

Having said that, I have 5 months in hand to do that and I can devote 5 to 6 hours a day. What would you guys recommend?

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi, Katrik

I have done 1 and currently busy with 5, I can say CT5 uses a lot of the staff from CT1. I would recommend CT1 and CT7. However given your job worry, I think you have a point.

Normally when thinking about doing two, it matters If you are working. If you aren't working then I don't see any reason why you can't do both CT5 and CT1.
    So studying 6 hours a day for 5 entire months, means roughly >450 hours for each. That's awesome! (I don't buy the 150 hrs thing) That means you will have done all Q&A's, X-assgnments & past papers by your next sitting.

I don't see why you can't pass. By the time you hit a complete month with 180 hours of study you will start to think it's possible. By the third month (two months away from the Dreaded days) It will actually be possible.

Go for it, don't think anything, just order the notes and START.

In fact, if all you do is study, I would say do CT1,CT5 and CT4 (There is a bit of overlap between CT4 & CT5) and study for 10 hours a day. Remember you probably used to do it @ Uni. With a Semester running 5 subjects, the only difference is that CT's are enigmatic and therefore need A LOT of practice!

Anyway that's how I see it, other's may differ!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2012
  3. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

As Edwin mentions, it might be a good idea to sneak in CT4 somewhere in your preparation. CT5 will be appreciated better if you have prior knowledge of CT4, IMHO.

4. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

Edwin, you have no idea how motivating your post is. You totally got me on board buddy. But, unfortunately I am free just the first 2 months (June and July). From August, I will start working. Well, its just a teaching job demanding not more than 3-4 hours a day. I have to teach finance and economics to 11th and 12th grade.

And I am also a slow learner. Took me a year to do CT3, well because it was totally new for me. Its not the case with CT1. I am starting with CT1 as of now and lets see how much time it takes.

Thanks both you.

5. moumita.paul

moumita.paul Member

preparation tips required for ct5

hi all

can you suggest me how to prepare for ct5 all by myself without joining coaching or any tuitorial.....waiting for some valuable suggestions ....

thanks in advance....

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

Heita, I may be the wrong person to dish out any advice since I'm also a September CT5 candidate. However I started by:-

1) Reading through the notes to gain understanding, doing exercises as they come where necessary

2) Then I used the 2000-2004 pastpapers to re-learn the material

3) Currently practicing using the 2005+ papers. 100% Exam Condition.

Oxymoron just passed, probably he can offer better advice to both of us.

7. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

Yeah, I pretty much did the same - except instead of 2000-2004, I did the UK papers for training and the Indian papers under exam conditions. This strategy is yet to fail me for the exams.

8. manish.rex

manish.rex Member

Even after practising the past exam papers from whichever institute you have worked on, always be ready for surprises, and positively expect them. There will always be one or two big and small questions with elements of innovativeness.

Most of the times they will however be easy to go through if you fully understand the concepts, their application and what is being asked for. I find such questions as the fun part in the exam. :)