Electronic copies of course notes

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by RobWat, Feb 28, 2007.

?

Do you think ActEd should provide electronic copies of the course notes?

1. Yes

80 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. RobWat

RobWat Member

I really don't get it.

Do people really think piracy is that big a risk? Doesn't everybody get their Combined Materials Pack paid for by their employer? Are there really that many people/employers that currently pay for the CMP who wouldn't if they could illegally make a free copy? Or do people think plagiarism is a bigger risk? In which case, I think if anybody was really determined to do that, not having electronic copies available wouldn't exactly stop them.

2. jonbon

jonbon Member

Acted is so quiet on this issue!!!

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

...deliberately so. The discussion often stops when we intervene and it's good to hear your views.

Thanks for all the comments. It's something we have looked into previously and decided against but we will keep an open mind and review again soon. Online access might be the way forward but there are many other issues to consider, many of which you have raised here.

4. jonbon

jonbon Member

good to hear that the decision will be reviewed!! I guess then I won't need these stackfull of notes with my Actuarial knowledge bank digitized!!

5. capitalH

capitalH Member

I have thought a lot about asking Acted permission to scan my old notes (of subjects passed) and then to destroy them. First prize though would be to have a searchable PDF (OCR is not good enough unfortunately).

What ActEd can also consider is to make older version available to their clients who boguht them (say 1 year down the line). New students will have to buy the new version to ensure they have the new stuff, older students will get the electronic copy after a while.

6. jensen

jensen Member

1. Save paper
    2. Quicker searches, like a Spotlight for Acted notes.
    3. Save on the ridiculous shipping charges that are very often as much as the costs of the notes itself.
    4. Portable; you can virtually carry the entire subject on your mobile device these days.

7. anon2

anon2 Member

Yes - if there is a secure way to do this then surely it is the way forward.

8. Genesiss

Genesiss Member

I guess Acted/Institute should not be left behind by technology...that is a risk.
    I don't find anything wrong with Acted giving me my notes via e mail..it is a much cheaper, quicker distribution channel than posting.
    They will also save on paper....that is a plus for the environment as fewer trees will be cut to provide paper. I will also save on storage space...I have tonnes and tonnes of old notes that have sentimental value!!

They (& I) will save on shipping costs..hopefully the costs are not exaggerated coz we don't expect them to be making money on shipping costs but on the material itself...well I don't know whether they should pass any bargain on bulk shipping to the students...am sure this is factored in the shipping costs!!!

I will receive my notes instantly thereby increasing my reading time and also have the option of printing chapter by chapter or just reading them off the computer.

Having paid for the notes ..why would I lend my friend for free anyway???...am a bit selfish here..most employers may only purchase first time for the same subject and if you fail...that's your problem..you have to buy notes if there are significant changes to that same subject.

I can still study the past papers and sit for the exams and pass....why should I be penalised for sitting an exam without purchasing the notes??...that is a rather ridiculous suggestion!

9. Mark_JT

Mark_JT Member

Sorry to revive an old thread...but I'd love to have a digital copy of my notes! I have a Sony Reader and would love to read my notes on the go; it's just not possible with a big folder :(

-Mark

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  10. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

I study at work and at home and it would be great to stop lugging my notes around!

But I can see why Acted wouldn't provide electronic copies.... copyright infringement issues etc etc, easier to share notes around

11. capitalH

capitalH Member

The thing is there is ways around it.

For example, get an agreement with the Profession that only students who bought the notes may register for an exam. Problem solved, no DRM or other funny stuff required.

12. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

There are students going for alternatives. The Profession sells the core reading, university preps for those not getting exemptions etc. What would be done about those? Is it the majority of students using acted stuff?

13. learner

learner Member

This is rather like the debate about which calculators are allowed in the examinations.

14. capitalH

capitalH Member

Show me someone passing just on the core reading and I will call him/her a genius. Also, at my uni, we were forced to buy the ActEd notes (apparently there was some agreement) if you aimed for an exemption.

15. didster

didster Member

There was someone a while back who had a Phd in medical statistics and got 100% in Ct3. While I don't understand why an exemption wasn't sought, people like this, who've worked in overlapping fields, can certainly do without Acted notes.

Using purchase of notes as a registration isn't the end of the problem completely. Resits have the option for new notes at a price, and some may choose to not buy new notes, but should still have a chance at the exam. If they can "obtain" the new notes free, the copyrighters will argue it's loss of income and copyright infringement.

What people need to realise is that we need to rely on the good old honour system. Those who want to cheat the system will find a way to do so.

Having the option of another source of info improves the service by allowing free market competition. Granted most if not all use Acted and it's probably the best source of info. But if Acted were to drop in standards, it would be nice to have the option of an alternative to fill the void.

Providing electronic reading material may just be one of those areas where someone else can step up the game to provide a better service all round.

16. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

Odd as it may be it is actually true that other people are using alternatives and passing. When I went to varsity I used the core reading and only got aware of acted stuff abt 2 years ago though I went to varsity first year 12 years ago doing an actuarial degree.

I am converted to the merits of acted and now use it. That doesn't mean I intend to use it religiously all the time. Neither does it mean that there is no benefit in going down the route you propose CapitalH. I think the whole system of actuarial education should be student friendly rather than just access to notes. I see making acted compulsory making the system as a whole unfriendly (especially to those without deep enough pockets) though it will make it easier for these electronic notes.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  17. capitalH

capitalH Member

zivanaik,

I see your point and want to disagree but cannot think of any reason other than "I want electronic notes".

What it comes down to is finding a way to give electronic notes, without compromising the ActEd income stream (who will then have to make the notes more expensive for those who pay), and still be student friendly, providing us with a choice of core reading vs more.

I myself have never used the core reading only, but I have used ASET, and ActEd can probably apply the same argument to ASET and not just the notes. In any case, I do not think we will see anything changing soon.

18. Calum

Calum Member

Well, the Actuarial Outpost does, I believe, have a wiki which I am sure they would be delighted to have enhanced with useful notes and so forth which would serve a similar purpose.

That said, I agree in principle with the OP - I found it very useful to have access to PDF copies of course material when I was doing OU study, even with the books piled beside me. Keep asking, they will agree eventually ;)

19. capitalH

capitalH Member

The problem with the wiki is, it cannot be a verbatim copy of the ActEd notes (which will then be deemed to be a copyright infringement), so someone will need to sit and think carefully about the topics and then write a piece on it.

I am not sure if the actuarial community is large enough to support something like this, or is passionate enough to share knowledge in such a generalist fashion (i.e. not addressing specific questions as found here).

So unless ActEd puts information on the wiki, I don't think the community will.

20. tiger

tiger Member

Digging this thread up, would like to add my voice as well!
    With dedicated devices such as sony reader, amazon kindle you can get around the copyright protection issues (?), also the screen quality (vs. a computer). For £150 or so, would be worth the investment for the portability!

21. Darrell Chainey

Darrell Chainey ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Update from ActEd

We're currently working with our parent company BPP to produce some e-books and hope to trial something in a couple of products in the New Year. If all goes well (and people buy them) then hopefully we can roll them out in more products and subjects without too much fuss.

Thanks for all your comments folks. Sorry this one has taken so long to get off the ground.