1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruin Theory

Discussion in 'CM2' started by Jia Syuen, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Jia Syuen

Jia Syuen Very Active Member

Good days to those who're studying for CM2.

Want to ask your opinions for this chapter. Do we need to memorise all the formulae in this chapter or can you suggest which one should we memorise?

2. Anna Bishop

Anna Bishop ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Jia

You are right that this chapter is fairly formulae heavy :-(. Hopefully by the time you've practised past questions though, many of the formulae will start to embed themselves. This is what I recommend my tutorial students learn:

Definition of a Poisson process: N(t)

Definition of a compound Poisson process: S(t) = X1 + ... + XN(t) where N(t) is Poi(λt) and Xi is the amount of the ith claim. {Xi} are i.i.d.

Definition of the surplus process: U(t) = U + ct - S(t)

Definition of premium: c = (1+θ)λE[X]

Definition of the four ruin probabilities: Ψ(U), Ψ(U,t), Ψh(U), Ψh(U,t)

Know how the factors: U, t, θ, λ, μ, σ^2 affect the ultimate and finite probabilities of ruin

Be able to solve λ +cr = λMX(r) for the adjustment coefficient r

Lundberg’s inequality: Ψ(U) ≤ exp(rU)

Definition of insurer's expected profit = θλE[X]

Be able to solve λ +cnetr = λMY(r) for the adjustment coefficient in the presence of reinsurance

Definition of cnet = (1+θ)E(S) - (1+ξ)E[SR]

Definition of insurer's expected profit in presence of reinsurance = cnet - E[SI]

Derivation of formula for upper bounds on adjustment coefficient: R < 2θm1/m2 where m1 = E[X] and m2 = E[X^2]

Derivation of formula for lower bounds on adjustment coefficient: R > (1/M) ln (c/λm1) where claim amounts are continuously distributed on (0, M)

Distribution of time until the first claim for a Poisson process: T1 is Exp(λ)

Calculate probability of ruin on first claim, P(U(T1) < 0) where U(T1) = U + cT1 - X1

Hope this is a useful list

Anna

Tim likes this.
  3. Jia Syuen

Jia Syuen Very Active Member

Thanks for your reply! It helps a lot.

4. Anna Bishop

Anna Bishop ActEd Tutor Staff Member

You're welcome - sorry, couldn't get the formatting right for ages - kept putting a line through my maths! Think I've sorted it now though :)