Difficulty of the IAI exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by ProudActuary, Jun 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Has anyone sat the IAI exams? They seem to have significantly lower pass rates than the IFoA ones. I wonder what the reason for this could be.

2. almost_there

almost_there Member

Ask IFoA then get back to us.

3. I heard that the IAI did have one Brit prepared to take their exam but they kicked him out because he was both British and disabled.

4. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

On what grounds did the IAI discriminate on the basis of disability?

5. They kicked him out because he had a disability. A bit like how Gandhi got kicked out of the train in South Africa. I Hope the Aussies give the Indians a good bashing in the cricket.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2019
  6. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Very serious unsubstantiated allegation.

7. Why dont you substantiate it by asking the IFOA if it is true. Give them a binary choice of answer [Y/N]
    I dare you.. Go on..In fact, why dont you send me your email address and I will ask them with you CCd in to the email.
    How about it??

8. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Appears to be circular logic here. You're suggesting that I send an email on the basis of another poster's allegation. In any case, the allegation relates to the IAI in that they allegedly discriminated due to a student having a disability. If there's nothing to substantiate your allegation that's ok - important that you distinguish between fact and opinion.

9. So ProudActuary, Perhaps you would like to tell everyone what it is that you are proud of??
    Are you proud of the recent judgement which found that the IFOA not only discriminated against British members, but that they instructed and aided the IAI to discriminate??

10. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Proud to have achieved Fellowship status of the IFoA - an organisation that, as has been quoted on here many times, is the "gold standard" in actuarial education. Infact, if your/Almost_there/Null's posts are to be believed, FIA is better than several European actuarial qualifications.

What are you blowing the whistle on?

11. Congratulations... I actually agree with some of what you say.
    You should be proud of yourself.
    I would like your humble opinion on something.
    Do you think your qualification is a better than that achieved by those that sat the IAI exam.

12. almost_there

almost_there Member

It's only as good as what it's traded for, proud...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2019
  13. Perhaps the profession should have a pride march,

almost_there likes this.
  14. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Thanks very much :) Have you qualified? I hope your studies are going well or congratulations to you too if you've qualified.

From some of the views in the other forum it would appear that IAI students had, in some poster's opinions, a significant advantage to sit 4 exam sittings rather than 2 exam sittings each year. Whilst I think that advantage has been overstated, using that logic would imply IFoA is a greater achievement than IAI. It seems as if you/Null/almost_there have said that the IFoA is the "gold standard" on a number of occasions which would add further credence.

Admittedly, I'm not in the habit of keeping fully up to date with the IAI's syllabus though the pass rates seem significantly lower than IFoA. Perhaps it's due to the UK study package including ActEd support etc - not too sure.

I'm just proud to have passed my exams and qualified. I don't tend to look at other people's/Institute's exams and think how much more difficult theirs is compared to mine.

What do you think?

15. almost_there

almost_there Member

Proud to have overcome the discrimination that denied us opportunities. Erm...

16. Are you really a qualified actuary?? If so, when did you qualify?

17. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

2017 :) When did you qualify? Earlier you congratulated me and now you are questioning this. Are you trying to make fun of me?

18. Not sure about it, however I am currently helping 2 ladies (after successfully convincing them) to take action against the profession for indirect discrimination on the grounds of sex and disability. I will pass on their comments to you as the different standard might be relevant.

19. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Is that a homophobic remark which tries to undermine Pride marches which celebrate the love of the LGBTQ+ community?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2019
  20. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Sounds fascinating - in what way were they discriminated against due to sex? Are you actually a lawyer or an actuary/trainee actuary? Seem to like to ask questions without responding to any asked to you.

21. Because of the length of time it takes.
    You dont need to be a lawyer. Most actuaries can understand the law once they get started. It is easier than CT7 and VBA.
    I managed to convince them to bring an indirect discrimination claim against the profession. It is now a question of getting the pleadings right..

If the profession ceased to exist, who do you think should take the reigns of power to regulate us

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.