Actuarial Society of Turkey joins AAE

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by almost_there, Apr 29, 2019.

1. almost_there

almost_there Member

Null likes this.
  2. Null

Null Member

They’re listening to members. There are two court cases about the fact that exams are far easier abroad and they still don’t want to understand.

3. almost_there

almost_there Member

It seems to me that instead of fixing an error brought to their attention they pay lawyers to make out there is nothing wrong.

Null likes this.
  4. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Did the courts find in favour of the claimants or the IFoA? Is there a link to the cases, be interesting to read.

5. Null

Null Member

Google discrimination or actuary in the FT. You’ll find the story

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2019
  6. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

How odd. The article links to a case in which the IFoA were cleared of any wrong doing.

The article itself is concerning. Doesn't strike me that many UK students would be interested in applying to join the IAI to sit double exams but the fact that UK students were discriminated against is very worrying. I feel for the claimant - I wouldn't wish 17 years of studying for the actuarial exams on anyone.

7. Null

Null Member

Like it is some sort of exception to do 17 years. Many people do not finish. Many people drop out. Many people are still studying. There’s a 91 year old student in the membership statistics!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2019
    Calm and almost_there like this.
  8. almost_there

almost_there Member

Cleared, lol. They handed out Fellowship instead of Associateship. This is clearly wrong. They were done for racial discrimination and instructing, causing, inducing or aiding the IAI to discriminate against British nationals. Read the Judgment folks.

9. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

The link in the story goes to a story of a case in 2017. It states in that judgment that both claims failed!! In that case an individual tried to claim MRA was racist and failed to do so - reads quite clearly from what I can see.

10. almost_there

almost_there Member

ProudActuary, are you seriously arguing 2 = 4 and Fellowship = Associateship... that's the only way IFoA's case can work I guess. :rolleyes:

IFoA should have designated Associateship for the European MRA, it was good enough. This fact emerged in the second case but wasn't disclosed for the first, which is going to be reconsidered. Further AAE materials such as committee minutes of meetings and surveys were not disclosed for either case, which show further evidence of problems with that MRA.

Null likes this.
  11. almost_there

almost_there Member

I can think of many people in their 30s with broken careers, or career development inhibited, all to do with IFoA exams. IFoA won't disclose how many people drop out. Nor do I see them able to justify why this system is fit for purpose to determine who can be an actuary.

Null likes this.
  12. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

No - I'm making a factual comment that in 2017 the respondent's claim failed. It seemed as if he tried to intimidate staff to such an extent only one IFoA staff member was dealing with him - almost as if he had a vendetta against the IFoA.

Please advise where I'm arguing that 2=4? I don't follow your argument at all - perhaps you can clarify.

13. almost_there

almost_there Member

It's going viral.

Null likes this.
  14. Null

Null Member

Search again. It can’t be the case that the FT are wrong. You might be

15. lotstodo

lotstodo Member

they are linking to the wrong case papers. Go and look!

ProudActuary likes this.
  16. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Or perhaps if you check out the article you'll see you are wrong!

17. Null

Null Member

I see why you mean. Didn’t try the link. You should be able to find the correct judgment quite easily if you google it though.

18. almost_there

almost_there Member

Back to the topic, they've let the Turkish association join AAE after the claims were put in. I haven't seen IFoA explain how Fellowship is equivalent to the Turkish qualification..

19. Null

Null Member

That’s because it isn’t. After all these court cases it is going to be clear to any court that their actions are deliberate and calculated. I can’t see the current executive around for much longer

almost_there likes this.
  20. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

I'm sure the IFoA and AAE have robust processes in place to ensure the equivalence of the qualification. I think it's great that there is increased portability of the FIA/FFA qualification.

What research have you undertaken to make your claim?

21. almost_there

almost_there Member

Please substantiate your statement with documentation.