1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Professionalism

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Null, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Null

Null Member

I went to a disturbing presentation created by the IFoA with regards to professionalism yesterday.

I was informed the IFOA was regulated by the FRC. No mention was made that they are not regulated at all but rather overseen in a private capacity with limited remit. It was also not mentioned that the FRC was being closed down due to a government scandal and they’re of ill repute.

I was then shown several videos attempting to brainwash me into conforming with the IFoA’s questionable ethics and values.

The videos were about a scheme actuary. In the UK the legal requirement to be an actuary is limited to a handful of roles. These jobs are few and far between. Most people will never have a chance to even apply.

For a vast majority of actuarial roles, this level of “professionalism” is not required and hinders the development of actuaries to such an extent that data scientists, CFAs and “unqualified” individuals are doing the same roles without this administrative burden.

There are now 17 exams. What for?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2019
  2. almost_there

almost_there Member

That sounds like the video they make people watch once you're qualified.

Null likes this.
  3. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

What video did you watch when you qualified?

4. almost_there

almost_there Member

You should know, you say you qualified.

Lapsed_Student likes this.