CP2 Paper 2 Exam Issues

Discussion in 'CP2' started by Dar_Shan0209, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Dar_Shan0209

Dar_Shan0209 Ton up Member

Hi,

Did you notice there was a mistake in the Excel for today's paper? The parameter for take up rate was wrongly linked. I think we should write up a mail for the board of examiners to consider as this was a significant mitigating factor in the examinations. Took me an hour to spot this error!

2. Yes. I noticed that too and changed the red, italicized font to match the actual named range.

3. Dar_Shan0209

Hi,

Did you fill in the mitigating circumstance form? In the audit trail, they say "You must assume that the work done by your colleague is correct". But it was a mistake from their part. This is unfair, it took me a while to spot that. So, I filled in the form to say i should either be compensated or they should reflect this in the pass mark else it's unfair.

4. Benoy Soman

Benoy Soman Member

Yeap I spotted that too, very frustrating!

(i) The PIE take up rate cell actually had two different names for it :S
    and
    (ii) The LS take up rate, had the correct % in there but wrong name for the cell. The actual LS take up rate name was being applied to its own cell, not the cell with the actual % (if that makes sense?!).

I just linked directly into that cell (ii), but yes @Dar_Shan0209 you're right, probably worth highlighting this, what's the best way to go about that?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
    Viki2010 likes this.
  5. Dar_Shan0209

Hi,

Yes the LS take up rate was not linked to 30% but instead to the name.

Check your inbox, I'll give you more information.

6. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Exactly, I was a bit thrown off seeing a different parameter name in column B and a different variable name in column D but decided not to investigate the issues in the exam. The calculations just made less sense upfront because of these issues. I think people should send a mitigating circumstances forms as the errors caused loss of time for additional investigations, thinking time whether the exam scenario makes sense etc.

7. Dar_Shan0209

Exactly Viki.

You may wish to note that the deadline of raising a mitigating form is 7 calendar days from the sitting of the exam. So, hurry up for those who feel that they should be compensated.

8. Benoy Soman

Benoy Soman Member

Hi guys, quick q:
    I can see that there is also an Online Exam Incident form, do we complete this form or the Mitigating circumstances form?
    I may call the exams office on Tuesday to confirm..

9. Dar_Shan0209

Hello,

I have already sent the mitigating form. I will reply on the email and attach this also.

10. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Hi Benoy, it would be useful to understand if this is a suitable form. It says it can be used for

This form is to be used if you consider that your performance in an online assessment was significantly disrupted by circumstances outside of your control e.g. loss of power supply or internet connection.

11. Benoy Soman

Benoy Soman Member

Hi guys,
    I spoke to a member of the examinations team who suggested that the online exam incident form should be completed, so I'll be submitting that one myself to both assessment team and exam support.
    He did mention that the examinations team would need to confirm separately that there is an error.

student1990 likes this.
  12. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Hi Benoy, I have completed the "online exam incident form" and got a response that the online exam team is not responsible for the errors in the paper.

13. Dar_Shan0209

Hi Viki,
    Got the same too. They told me they are not responsible for errors in the setting of the paper however they channelled my request to the Assessment Team who are responsible for this.

Their feedback:"
    Your feedback has been shared with the Assessment team who are responsible for the setting of the papers. They should be in touch when they have reached a decision, I would not be able to provide a timeframe on this or their method of communication."

14. Benoy Soman

Benoy Soman Member

Hi guys,

Apologies for not replying lately, have been quite busy.

I got the same response as you guys, which was a bit frustrating because I was advised to complete the Online Incident form.
    I called the Institute again and highlighted that aside from the error being taken into consideration, I also wanted to highlight the impact this had on my individual performance. So they then forwarded on my form to the relevant team, to be considered under mitigating circumstances i.e. Darshan was correct in initially stating the mitigating form.

@Viki2010 if you haven't sent the mitigating form yet, you should still be able to. I called them again after the 7 day period had elapsed. However, because I had sent the online incident form within 7 days, they were okay.

15. almost_there

almost_there Member

It's absolutely disgraceful for such mistakes to be made. The trouble is that IFoA has so much contempt for valid complaints, so I don't expect a reasonable response.

Infinity likes this.
  16. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

This thread was/is about CP2. It lost its focus somewhat. There were a number of posts above that we deemed to be inappropriate and have now been deleted.
    The relative ease of access to the Profession for any group of people is a reasonable debate to have. We think this first cropped up at the end of this thread: https://www.acted.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/thesis-dedicated-to-actuarial-students.15372/page-5 and so we suggest you discuss things there. But please do so in a polite and professional manner.

Please continue to use this thread to continue any discussion about the CP2 exam.

Thank you
    Mods

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  17. Infinity

Infinity Member

there is no point doing an online mitigating circumstances form. I reported someone cheating and the IFoA did nothing about it. The IFoA do not think they are capable of making a mistake. Most complaints will fall outside the remit of the complaint policy and there is no one except the courts to regulate the IFoA.

18. Infinity

Infinity Member

ha ha... typical... pass the buck

almost_there likes this.
  19. almost_there

almost_there Member

lol, that translates to...

20. Infinity

Infinity Member

They did a similar cover up for CT9 when they suspended the exam half way through

21. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Hi, did anybody hear any communication about adjustment of marks for the papers with errors? I have not heard anything myself other than the "online exam incident form" was not the right procedure for errors in Paper 2. I have sent mitigating circumstances form but how would I know if anything is done about the poor quality of exam paper?