Work in USA

Discussion in 'Other countries' started by dhvanil, Jun 1, 2013.

1. dhvanil

dhvanil Member

I want to know whether it is possible to work in the U.S.A for an Actuarial position with Indian exams/ UK exams and without writing American exams?

2. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Post this question on the www.actuarialoutpost.com
    You might find similar topics already on the forum.

3. padasala

padasala Ton up Member

SOA and UK have a mutual recognition....sadly IAI does not have a mutual recognition with SOA...

Which is why SOA members cannot become appointed actuaries in India...

I would assume that the same would hold true for the converse as well.

Not sure about other streams...If you are planning to give SOA...please be advised...its a whole differnet ball game since he main CT papers are all MCQ (which in my opinion, makes it harder)...and question papers are not readily available like the UK exams....

Source: Actuary in my company

4. rshenoy

rshenoy Member

An FIA is awarded an FSA through SoA's mutual recognition agreement, there is some minimal requirement about attending a professionalism course (or some such). But, and this is a big but, ... :

1. FIAIs (fellows of the IAI) are awarded an FIA* (appear with the star on their roster) by IFoA under the mutual recognition agreement between IFoA and IAI. FIA* are not further eligible for an FSA under the mutual recognition agreement between SoA and IFoA

2. FIAs (without the star) are awarded for those clearing all exams with IFoA, and/or with some exemptions for recognised university courses, and/or exemptions for some IAI exams passed (where there are on-to-one exemptions). Now these FIAs are eligible for FSAs only if the FIA is from exams passes of IFoA and/or university exemptions. Thus, even though you may have an FIA (without the star), if you have some exemptions due to passes from IAI exams, you are again ineligible for an FSA.

3. The way out is take your FIA (with some IAI exam pass exemptions) and answer the corresponding papers of SoA. You are then eligible for an FSA. This is not so bad if it is one of the pre ST/SA papers, otherwise things get way complicated.

4. Of course, you have the option of answering the exempted papers again under IFoA. But I am not sure of the technicalities involved, and if you flunk a paper that you had an exemption for do they withdraw your FIA?

Hope I have not complicated matters for you :)

5. lk1988

lk1988 Keen member

I'm really interested in working in the USA and was hoping someone (anyone?!) who has made the switch will be able to help! I've emailed a few USA based recruitment companies but that doesn't seem to get me anywhere. If anyone has any hints or tips regarding their own experience (or even that of work colleagues) then that would be great!!

I currently work in pensions for a UK based company so a transfer is not possible. I have 2 years experience and 2 CTs left. I think I am flexible in the work I would accept (I.e. I'd consider insurance and investment) and would even be willing to pay for exams myself!

Anyone got any advice?!

6. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

What is your citizenship? There are visa restrictions to work in the US and you won't be considered unless you are eligible (US citizen) or in the season when visas can be issued. Now it is not the season. It is easier to get an internal transfer but that would be at a more senior level (qualified at least).

7. lk1988

lk1988 Keen member

I only have British citizenship so would need full sponsorship. When is the season that visas can be issued? Would I be best to apply for a visa before applying for jobs?

I would internal transfer but my company is only UK based!

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated!!

8. Iori_

Iori_ Member

I'm also interested in a visa to the US.

What I know (or think I know) is that the relevant visa for foreigners is the H1B visa which becomes available every April each year (and only once a year!).

I've heard that the quotas are not by each profession so the chances of a person getting a visa is the same whether he or she is a qualified actuary or someone doing manual work.

I've also not had much success trying out US-based recruitment agency. I'm sorry to say but DW Simpson is **** - and that's my honest opinion. They won't even reply to emails, and I'm almost qualified!

9. padasala

padasala Ton up Member

You are right....and quotas for H1B get filled on the day they open....like this year for instance....

You could try sending out mails to HR people of the company directly...maybe that way you might get a faster response??

10. lk1988

lk1988 Keen member

I completely agree regarding DW Simpson!! Have you tried sending CVs directly to the chief actuary? I read on the actuarial outpost forum that this is better than applying to vacancies advertised online.

It is so frustrating that the FIA and SOA have a mutual agreement regarding the conversion of exams etc yet the possibility of getting a visa and work is almost impossible!:mad:

11. didster

didster Member

While that may be so, I doubt IFoA or SOA have any weight on US/UK immigration decisions. I don't think it's a walk in the park for a non-UK citizen with an FIA to get a job in the UK either.

12. lk1988

lk1988 Keen member

Oh of course, I was just commenting that it's frustrating!

Has anyone who has applied to US companies directly been able to get interviews?

I've applied to a few but haven't even got a rejection email!!

13. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

That's very true, everyone wants a UK specific experience backed by UK exams.

In the US, however, I had a feeling that it is easier to get into a role (without US specific experience), provided you have a visa.

14. Iori_

Iori_ Member

Getting a visa is almost impossible...

15. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

I'm relocating to US from India end of this year. The easiest way to get a role there is via inter company transfer.

16. Iori_

Iori_ Member

In an actuarial role?

Could I perhaps ask what level you are at - student, nearly-qualified, newly qualified, or qualified with significant post-qualification experience?

and in america they usually need the company to have a reason why they could not find someone suitable within the country and needed to transfer you from another country to have you in the job position. Perhaps was there such a reason for your international transfer?

17. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

I'm a student with 2.5 years exp - done with CT series, and writing CA2 + ST6 in a month's time. I work in analytics - so I'm not exactly into a core actuarial role.

The role required knowledge of techniques (similar to what's covered in the CT series) and a good understanding of my co's databases and processes - and I guess I was lucky to be at the right co at the right time - being the only person here who's pursuing actuarial (now they're hiring 4 more). :)

The downside of working in a role like this has been no study leave, no paper passing incentive etc :(

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  18. padasala

padasala Ton up Member

if I may ask/guess your company... Mu sigma? Latentview?

19. padasala

padasala Ton up Member

Exactly the reason why I left an analytics firm and joined an insurance firm :)

Also the work hours of the whole global delivery model... it just killed the time for exams...

20. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

Ford Credit - and the L1-B blanket visa interview was really simple. The officer looked at the application and said "wow, Ford!" - then asked which area I'm working in and what's my US salary - and then approved it. So working for a US co definitely helps in this regard ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  21. Imidinho

Imidinho Member

Work opportunities in the US

Hi Guys

After reading the posts below, i want to know if anyone on this forum has actually been able to get an actuarial role in the USA? If so, what process did you follow in order to get this e.g. applying directly on company websites or using recruitment agents? Did the company sponsor you in order to get a work visa? Or do you need to get a green card first in order to be considered?

Do you guys know of any companies which employ actuaries who are prepared to sponsor?

Thanks in advance for your feedback :D